Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Sending outside of US

Hey,

I live in Europe, and I've ordered a Hololens to a friend that lives in the US. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to me. Has anyone tried sending a Hololens outside of the US (for example with Fedex, UPS, USPS, or DHL)?

I've tried creating a shipment with Fedex, but I'm unsure/concerned about export control licenses and Electronic Export Information. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Answers

• Options
    AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

Not sure that you're going to get an official answer since it will have to be "You can't do it".
    I am sure there are HoloLensers in Europe and maybe they can pitch in. Needless to say, best option would be to deliver it by hand. With shipping, you might get it stuck in customs for a long time (it has happened for US - Canada shipments and HoloLens is available in both those markets).

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

As far as I know you can when you fill out the right paperwork, but its gonna be expensive!
    FedEx Electronic Export Information

UPS has an web page about this UPS Electronic Export Information

Remember you have to pay import taxes as well as the UK HMRC will want paid

Here is a calculator
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/205747462/
    Here is quote main part in italics

Import duty & taxes calculation result
    From where to where you import
    Edit
    Importing from: United States
    Importing to: United Kingdom (view country guide)

The type of product, its value and where it was manufactured
    Edit
    Product description: Electronics
    Product category: Webcam (Upgrade account to get HS code)

Total product value: US$3000.00
    The cost of shipping and insurance of importing
    Edit
    Shipping costs: US$500.00
    Insurance costs: US$10.00
    Calculation results

Total customs value (CIF): £2674.17
    This is the amount that customs values your import at
    Duty: £109.64
    VAT: £556.76

Total import duty & taxes due: £666.40 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs

• Product, shipping & insurance: £2674.17

Total landed cost: £3340.58 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
    at exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.31 USD

Calculation and compliance notes
    Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance
    • Electronics has an import duty rate of 4.1% and VAT rate of 20% . Restrictions may apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [Some probability]. Packaging and labelling requirements apply to Lithium batteries whether they are contained in the equipment or sent separately from the device. Please, contact your courier for more information. If the product has dual-use, an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) is required [Some probability].
    Notes on import taxes due
    • Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

• Options

@AlexD I'm not so worried about it getting stuck in customs in Europe. My main concern is if the export declaration is incorrect or it gets stuck when leaving the US.

For example, Fedex needs:

• a commercial invoice or a pro forma invoice
    • whether or not I need an export license (is it EAR99?)
    • EEI/SED filing if over $2,500
    • terms of sale - the point at which the seller has fulfilled their obligations and the goods are said to have been delivered to the buyer.
    • country of manufacture

Yikes! I have no idea what to choose. I'm not exporting/importing for commercial use...

• Options

I don't know all the details but as our US office is exporting 2 Hololens to our German R&D facility right now i can say that you do not need an export license.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/exporting/exporting-information.aspx#hardware-list

There you can find the ECCN and other classifications that you need for the export papers.

The Hololens is classified in the same category (5A992.c) as the Surface Tablets and Lumia Smartphones and because of Microsoft delivering the CCATS Id the item is no longer subject to EI and NS controls.

For the rest i would ask FedEx or UPS for help.

Good Luck!