Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens add-in is causing black screen

When I do a skype call with the Hololens before installing the addin on the desktop running Skype then I see what the Hololens is seeing on my desktop. However, after installing the addin, the screen on the desktop is black except for a tab/button at the top that says "Edit scene". Clicking on the button doesn't do anything. I've tried this on a couple of laptops and have tried upgrading skype and the HoloLens. Any idea what is the problem?
Ken

Answers

• Options

I have the same issue. Cannot view what the HoloLens is viewing, but the HoloLens can view my laptop's camera view. I tested HoloLens to iPad, and that worked fine, although of course there are no drawing tools available on the iPad. How would one remove/uninstall the HoloLens add-in?

• Options

Update: tested again today, after updating both my Intel HD 4000 driver and Nvidia driver, and trying to force Skype to use the Nvidia driver. The Intel Driver was crashing in yesterday's tests. After the updates today, the crashing did not occur, and I was able to "edit the scene" from the laptop by placing arrows, etc. in the scene. Those appeared in the HoloLens viewing area. However, still no actual video feed from the HoloLens to the laptop screen, just a blank screen, with the ability to edit and draw. I again tested Skype between my laptop and an iPad, and that worked fine, so something happens between the HoloLens and the laptop (and its graphics drivers).

• Options

Another update: I uninstalled the Hololens for Skype add-in from my laptop. After that, two-way video sharing worked fine between the HoloLens and my laptop. I could draw and annotate from the HoloLens, and the annotations would appear on the laptop screen, along with the video feed from the HoloLens camera. But, of course, the laptop could not draw or annotate because I had uninstalled the add-in. I re-installed the add-in, and again, the black screen problem occurred. So, I think the HoloLens add-in needs some updating.

• Options

I am having the exact same problem. Installing the Skype HoloLens add-in makes video sharing go black screen in my laptop. And it is working again after uninstalling the Skype HoloLens addin.

• Options

I have this problem on my laptop that have two display adapters, one onboard Intel HD graphics and one NVidia Quatro M5000M adapter. If I disable any one of them in the device manager, the video stream is working with the Hololens for Skype add-in.

• Options

Any update on this? Months ago when I first tried this it worked perfectly. I've since moved to a different laptop and installed the add-in and I too have the black screen. I'm able to see the Holograms on my laptop, but I'm not able to see the Hololens webcam feed.

• Options

Until they fix it I found a workaround. On the device I'm connecting to (i.e. not the Hololens) I disabled one of the two display adapters and it starting working again.

YMMV

• Options
    philosoVRphilosoVR
    edited January 2017

@RyanAshley said:
    Until they fix it I found a workaround. On the device I'm connecting to (i.e. not the Hololens) I disabled one of the two display adapters and it starting working again.

YMMV

Thanks for the workaround! :smile:
    I had to disable my Intel graphics for it to work, disabling the Nvidia didn't work.

• Options

@Ken said:
    When I do a skype call with the Hololens before installing the addin on the desktop running Skype then I see what the Hololens is seeing on my desktop. However, after installing the addin, the screen on the desktop is black except for a tab/button at the top that says "Edit scene". Clicking on the button doesn't do anything. I've tried this on a couple of laptops and have tried upgrading skype and the HoloLens. Any idea what is the problem?
    Ken

Hi, I have exactely the same problem... any news about it?
    thanks

• Options
    edited June 2017

Same issue here with Intel video cards. On those machines having two cards the solution is disabling one of them, but a customer of ours has several machines with intel graphic card only, therefore we can't disable it.
    The skype plugin is nothing but a Unity 3d windows application (UnityRenderer.exe), I suppose we have to focus on possible incompatibility between unity 3d and intel graphic video card drivers.

• Options

I don't think it is a problem with video cards. I'm getting the same problem in a win 10 virtual machine.
    After the problem occurred I also set up a fresh Win 10 virtual machine, disabled updates (just in case) but the problem is still there.
    I found something on the Unity forum related to something similar https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-5-0f3-crashing-after-windows-10-update-14-june-2017.477120/
    They point to update KB4022405. Unfortunately, the problem remains even without that update installed.

• Options

btw, everything worked fine up to a few days ago

• Options

Agree.
    I'm quite sure the issue is related to Unity.