Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Unity - Are there autogenerated scripts from animations?

In Unity, I'm animating specific objects and was wondering if there are autogenerated scripts that I can access so that I can manipulate certain properties later via scripting?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Thank you for your response, I think that might be what I was looking for, but I have follow up questions to each direction:

1. What is the purpose of doing it this way if you can just add an object in Unity? Is that the same thing or is it different?
    2. Can you use an AnimatorController for GameObjects? (When I tried to do so and dragged in an animation I created, it says "Cannot preview transition: souce state does not have motion")?
  • Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    1. I'm not sure what your questions about the purpose means. The hierarchy is as follows. There are scenes. Scenes contain game objects. Game objects may contain child game objects, always contain Transform component and may contain any number of other components. Among those components may be the Animator component, whose navigational graph is defined by an animator controller. Animator controller, among other things, contains states with animation clips in them. These animation clips contain curves each of which defines changing of a serializable property of a game object's component or of that game object's child (or sub-child, etc. any depth) game object. You can navigate through the state graph of the animator controller using a handful of techniques: triggers, conditions, etc. Animator is a component and it goes onto a game object in a scene. AnimatorController and AnimationClip are assets that exist in the assets database / Project View, not in the scene. They are reference from within the scene though.
    2. By the time I read your second question I realized I've mostly answered it in.1:) Unity is famous for using confusing synonyms which to my taste is unproductive. "No motion" means that there is no animation clip "injected" into the animator controller state. "Motion" and "animation clip" are synonyms.

I recommend to familiarize yourself with Unity's basic concepts first: scenes, game objects, components. Then with the animation system: animators, controllers, clips, curves, perhaps even further to blending trees and all the advanced topics. And then, once you're comfortable with it platform-agnostically, simply transfer that knowledge onto the HoloLens. Hope this helps.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.