Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

HLSL geometry shader not visible in emulator and device recorded video?

vrenkenvrenken
edited September 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hi all,

I’m a bit confused with regards to geometry shaders. After a shattered relation with Unity 3D about HoloLens development I’ve started experimenting with creating my own holographic application framework. As ingredients I took SharpDX, Artemis (an Entity Component Systems framework), some of the good aspects found in Unity 3D (like the hierarchy) and T4/XML powered templates (to provide some sort of rapid UI creation skeleton).

Everything has been going quite smoothly and nice except of my endeavors into HLSL. Being new to this I was pretty proud when I got the first triangles, cubes and later on textured meshes shown on the emulator. However, all of the experiments with drawing thick (2D/3D) lines using a geometry shader shattered at each attempt.
Somehow nothing showed up whilst all other shaders (textured, colored) worked as expected.
My confusion got even greater when I today had the change to run the whole on a HoloLens device. All of a sudden lines (and later on triangles) were shown when I ran my test application on the device instead of the emulator.
Next to that a video capture of the whole also did not record the visuals created by the shader pipeline in which the geometry shader was included.

So to summarize I have:

And:

• On the emulator: No visuals for the geometry shader based lines. Everything else is fine.
  • On the device: something that looked like lines. Everything else is looking superB
  • When recording video on the device: Again no visuals. Everything else is fine.

To make a long story short: are there any quirks or known issues with regards to how (geometry) shaders do their magic?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter Vrenken

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Hi Dwight,

thanks for the input!

it was definitely an issue with the logic on my side. To be precise with how the vertex and geometry shaders were configured and the instance ID's propagated.

But next to that we have jumped off the SharpDX bandwagon and onto the Urho one. In my humble opinion it provides more of the basic plumbing like a Entity Component Systems based approach, primitive/text/geometry rendering and a huge amount of out-of-the-box working shaders.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Peter Vrenken