Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How can I display a public IP address for HoloLens remoting?

Hi everyone - I've been having fun with pushing stuff straight from Unity to the HoloLens using the holographic remoting player. But so far, this only works on a local network. Is it possible that I can do this non-locally? For example, if I wanted to remotely push something on Unity to my HoloLens - where the Unity PC and HoloLens are on different networks. Perhaps even in different states :) The same question goes for apps that are built - can I develop a Holographic app on a local machine(s) that's intended to be remotely accessed by many HoloLenses around the world via the remoting app. Thanks!!!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    utekaiutekai ✭✭✭
  • Options

Hi @utekai, thanks - this looks like an interesting solution. I don't have any experience with Azure. Would I be able to connect the Azure VM to my HoloLens using the holographic remoting player? Could multiple HoloLenses run from one VM? Or would I somehow need to duplicate that VM for each instance I want to run (for example, if I want it to run on 100+ HoloLenses at the same time). I'm not sure what the VM cost implications would be. Thanks for being patient with all my questions as I figure this out!!

• Options

@Jimbohalo10 said:
    Hi @mr0ng HoloLens networking is like a mobile phone does NOT contain secure INCOMING IP support. Therefore you need to connect to a router which is capable of handling the security and routing.
    The most obvious thing is to have a spare PC which handles routing. There are still many open source programs which with provide outgoing/incoming routing and registering of valid TCPIP addresses. You could then use the USB connection to HoloLens.

Many commercial CISCO routers support this. Most domestic broadband routers will support one connection, where you alter the firewall to redirect ALL IP traffic to one local computer. HoloLens is not a routing node, but an end node, e.g. phone, but ANYONE anywhere could connect to your network and then route to you and other devices and PC's >:)

The good news is this solution would support apps and the HoloLens remote player.

@jimbohalo10 this seems like it could be the most direct answer to my question. I don't have a strong background in networking. Any links you can point me to for how I might achieve this would be helpful. If I understand what you're saying - you are saying that I can change a setting in my router to make my HoloLens IP address public to anyone on the web. Therefore, if I type in that IP address that's displayed when I open the Holographic remoting player, I should be able to connect to that from any PC in the USA. Let me know if I missed anything.

• Options

Hi @mr0ng You need to remember that any network connection will need two router connections.
    You cannot locally connect with your external public IP address. One router is configured for INCOMING (HoloLens) and one router for the OUTGOING (Unity Holographic Remoting /Emulating PC).
    You CANNOT connect via local internet as only one connection is allowed.
    You will need to unblock firewalls as on DMZ routing firewalls for the ports Remoting Viewer example is port 27772

I cannot give exact instructions for setting up routers and the U.K. uses ADSL fibre and the U.S. uses cable DSL.

• Options
    SpheredCazualSpheredCazual ✭✭
    edited October 2016

I currently have it working using a kind of network bridge, I have 1 Hololens, 1 Linux Server(Apache HTTP Server and PHP installed) lets call it network server(online webserver not on my private location), and 1 client PC.

with the Hololens Unity App and the PC/Mac/iPad app I use Multiplayer networking to update data/locations etc etc have a look at this tutorial :smile:https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/multiplayer-networking

As @Jimbohalo10 you do need to open up a port on the routers, unless you use 80 or 443 as port :wink:

Hope this give you some help!

creative mind, free thinker, dreamer, maker, mostly working on games and doodling around with gadgets, Sphered Cazual/Elite/Master of the Universe/Dad/Husband @mariovermeulen

• Options

As @Jimbohalo10 you do need to open up a port on the routers, unless you use 80 or 443 as port

>

Hi @SpheredCazual I have tried this and found that the HoloLens app which allows Remote, is in fact a version of the Remote Desktop Assistant. However this does NOT support connection from Remote Desktop app, because you cannot login to the HoloLens Remotely.

Security issue would allow connection via Mobile Hotspot from Lumia phone B) but >:)

Each Unity/HoloLens App would need to be registered in the Windows Firewall on the HoloLens and the Unity PC. This would only work if your Broadband provider router supported Application port registration like mine.

The standard networking "ping" and "tracert" will NOT work, due to timeouts and the fact that many ISP block these due to DDoS attacks.
    DMZ does work but you have to have a good firewall!!

• Options
    mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help. Update - I did finally get it working. I configured my router to open a port to my HoloLens' local IP address. I then explored my various firewall settings to ensure the devices were able to communicate. Thank you!