Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Developing for Windows 10 VR?

Where can i find information about developing for the new $299 Windows 10 vr devices?
How is it different than the hololens sdk?
Do i need a Hololens to get started now?
What are the input options? (you cant see your hands so gestures arent as natural than AR).
How can they release devices in December when developers arent on board yet?
http://virtualrealitysummit.com/news/microsoft-to-launch-low-end-vr-headset-in-december/41693/

Comments

• Options

Hi @linojon

As Terry says in his blog posting:

We are working with several partners on the spec today, and plan to publicly release v1 of the spec at the Windows Hardware Engineering Community (WinHEC) conference in Shenzhen in December.

• Options

Calculate the walls distances from where you are standing before starting the game. How do the APP know it is a wall? A good question for spatial scan and cognitive services.

Current MR development should be good. Just make the skybox as whatever the back ground you want, your room walls or anything.

If it is tethered, Make it as a room size. Then design the APP.

If it is not tethered, we do not want the user walking for a longer distance and hit some thing or fall.

If it is a "Merged Reality" , even if it is tethered we can show all the walls by "Merging them" using the spatial map scans and they can walk around a bigger area by avoiding the walls and obstacles.

• Options

Hi @HoloDevices . Simply looking at the price 10% of HoloLens :)B) is a winner!.

How can they release devices in December when developers aren't on board yet?

Many of use has been here following Holographic and HoloLens before the launch!!

What are the input options? (you cant see your hands so gestures aren't as natural than AR).

In the video from his blog posting: The wearer is waving a wand.

There is no camera, its NOT a Lumia phone, its not Cardboard :D

This headset supports NVidia graphics chips and Intel processing.

The cable tether isn't really a problem and the price IMHO will guarantee success and sales. Its 30% less than rivals.

My only problem is probably WONT be available in U.K., but at this price I will probably ship from the States, if they LET me!!

• Options

In December they are going to show VR headsets+details in the event.
    The software update is coming next year, spring...
    Headsets later in 2017. Since it is by multiple vendors in varying prices, they should be available in Europe.

299$ of low end VR headset which will support low quality Holograms to higher ends as to work with high end Gaming PCs.
    Hand gestures will be understood by sensors and MS mentioned many times about working/developing controllers for AVM Reality headsets.

Here you can read some details from Kipman about VR headsets.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/10/27/13433658/microsoft-headsets-aim-to-democratize-mixed-reality

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Well lets hope so because in VRworld.com Microsoft Windows 10 Holographic Edition to Run on 2017 PCs
    To Quote

Windows 10 Holographic Edition to run: “on an inexpensive and tiny Intel NUC at 90 fps.” Because that ‘tiny and inexpensive’ NUC is a 600 dollar Skylake-S based NUC6i7KYK, and secondly – the demo wasn’t being rendered and calculated with real world physics, but rather a passive playback of the interface.

>

Lets hope there is better news, in December!!, because $600 is a long way from $299

• Options

@Jimbohalo10

You may be confusing two separate and importantly different Windows Holographic announcements.

Intel's Project Alloy announcement during an Intel Keynote in August was announcing a reference design for a standalone untethered "Merged Reality" device, as they called it at the time, that will run a future version of Windows 10 that includes the Windows Holographic Platform. The important point here is that devices built by OEMs based on this reference design will be self contained untethered stand alone computers. These devices are certainly not likely to launch at a retail price $299, however some OEMs may find ways to make them very competitive with competing VR headsets that are less capable and tethered.

The Windows 10 Creator Update announcements on October 26 announced five specific OEMS will be introducing a range of VR headsets that start at $299 that were described as "accessories". By accessories I think it is safe to imply that an accessory VR headset plugs in to (tethers to) a PC. It seems very reasonable to expect that one or more of these large OEMs would be able to launch a tethered headset (VR accessory) for $299 and that a headset which relies on a tethered PC would not require $600 NUC computer inside it.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

Thanks @HoloSheep I did not realise they were TWO releases. To Microsoft Marketplace make sure you set out a clear path, because we in Europe have enough trouble converting from USD to GB pounds and Euros and VAT import tax.

Let hope we have clear Holographic path announcements-related to hardware and software for PC. I really want to see pictures of real hardware, with model Names on the devices,not mocked up picture that look suspiciously like Sony PS4 VR headset!!!

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@linojon @HoloDevices @HoloSheep

Finally the wait is over the announcement has been made. Its BIG the announcement is a fully functional model from 3Glasses from China in the on demand video at around $600, basically 5 times cheaper than the original.
    We can see Windows 10 Holographic software running on the 3Glasses headset B):)

• Options

I especially liked the Quadrant Diagram presented during the WinHEC Keynote:

Note that it even includes a category for See Through - Tethered which we haven't seen or heard much about yet.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

Just to add a little to this conversation, I think one of the biggest things that everyone needs to wrap their heads around, in case they have not already, is that all of these programs run on the Windows Holographic platform. If you are already doing HoloLens development, you are already developing against the Holographic platform. Yay you! Carrying that forward, anything you create for HoloLens today, should be deployable with relative ease in 6 to 8 months when any of these other devices come out to the market or dev preview.

Finally, as someone on Twitter pointed out very early this morning, what Microsoft just did is take a vague term that nobody really understood, "Mixed Reality", and defined it as a range of devices, tethered -> untethered & transparent -> opaque, that all run on a common platform intended to put digital content in your world, regardless of if that world is real or virtual.