Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Do I have a place in app development?

Hey, as an individual with zero experience in coding of any form, let alone for hololens, it's very frustrating to think my potentially groundbreaking idea for an app will never come to be!
This is my first forum post and essentially I'm after some guidance on what direction and channels I should follow to get the relevant people on board developing my idea. What developers do I seek? What cost would I expect to incur? Would I need to work directly with Microsoft? Would I need to protect intellectual property?
As you might imagine it's an area I'm somewhat unfamiliar with! I need to know if I should give up now or if there is a way for me to help bring my creation to life!
Any insight would be of great encouragement.
Many thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Ash, Alan. Thank you both very much for taking the time to read and respond! Your personal experiences are of great encouragement. Knowing that there are people who work with hololens software with zero previous experience like myself is a great boost.
    I believe there is an emulator? Or software I can get hold of to begin trying out the building process. I do not own a hololens (yet) as I live in the U.K. and I believe it is only due to be released soon. Perhaps PC based software/emulator would be a good place to start.
    I will check out some of the links you guys suggested and make an effort to put In a bit of learning time!
    Thank you both again for the support.
  • Options

@hurkydemon17 - It seems the brand new version of Unity (5.5) has an emulator built in which sounds great. I plan to upgrade to this today to check it out (the personal version should be free and is the best place to start). I live in the UK too and the first shipping date was yesterday. I am eagerly checking my tracking info about once every couple of hours to see where my device is :smile:

• Options
    Oh wow I bet you can't wait to get your hands on the gear! I take it the price is still $3,000 (or the equivelant in £'s) hope it arrives soon!
  • Options

Price is £2,719 - I had been saving for a high-end PC + Vive but when I tried the Hololens I was convinced Mixed Reality is the future so decided to put the money toward that direction instead. (It arrived today but I won't be using it until Christmas as it's technically a present - which is going to be very hard :smile: )

• Options

Hi @Ash Announced today December 3/4 new Holographic headsets
    Which will be much cheaper using the new Windows 10 Creators Update and Holographic Update will be available soon to Windows 10 Insiders soon. The initial stub to evaluate your PC being suitable for Holographic update is available Insiders.

Remember to update your software Install the Updated tools

• Options

They look interesting and the inside-out tracking is genius.