Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Holographic remoting Unity stopped working

HayeGlasHayeGlas
edited December 2016 in Questions And Answers

The holographic remoting feature in Unity 5.5b09 suddenly stopped working properly. I have used it before when it was working just fine. The problem is that when video is enabled Unity will slow down and sometimes crash. Most of the time it is so slow that I don't see anything through the hololens. Audio streams perfectly tho. I am using the remote service without video at the moment, and that works just fine. Problem is that I need the computing power of the PC for my app to run.

This is what I tried already:

• Changed from an ad-hoc wifi to a dedicated router, connected with ethernet
  • reinstalled unity 5.5b09
  • built a new app with just a simple cube, same problem however
  • Reset the hololens to factory specs
  • hololens is up-to-date, so is Windows
  • 2.4GHz or 5GHz network, same problem

Maybe there is another solution for remoting, but I'm new to the whole app-making/programming. Starting to learn unity and c# for a while now.

edit: just downloaded unity 5.5.3f, same problem :(

Answers

• Options

@HayeGlas,

Would it help if I told you this sounds pretty normal? Doing remoting as well as streaming at the same time is a lot of data to be sending back and forth. I can only get it to work for a little while, also. Streaming to the dev portal on its own or remoting on its own works fine, though, which is how I normally use these features.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

The dev portal works flawless everytime! Only the holograpic emulation within unity doesn't work at all when I enable video.

I have looked at the perfomance of the cpu/gpu and wireless of both the computer and hololens, they are not using anymore than around 50%

• Options

Well, I have worked it out. The bitrate setting needs to be changed to around 4000. After hitting the play button it will take a minute or so to fully start. When connected and the program is started a second time it will take a few seconds to start :)

I find it strange tho, the first week I was using it I could leave the bitrate at maximum and had no problems.

• Options

Well, continues problems. I'm in a different face of development of our system and really need the remoting to work now. I try to stream holograms with the Companion kit (RemotingHostSample) and it shows the same sympthoms as it does in Unity. Only the desktop sample will result in something showing on the hololens, but nowhere near workable. The spinning cube will disapear when the hololens is moved, and the cube isn't spining for most of the time.

I have reset and reinstalled everything twice by now. Tried different wifi settings (ad hoc and external routers ect) I suspect it has to do with an update from Windows, ether on the PC side or the HoloLens site. I have two pc with aniversity updates, and two updated HoloLenses, but non of the combinations seem to work.

Anybody else with the same problems? solutions or ideas?

Thanks!