Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How to create an exact avatar of human being ?

edited December 2016 in Questions And Answers

When I stand in front of my laptop camera I should be able to create avatar of mine. The exact height and size person (avatar) in front of me. Is there any tutorial available for this ?

My knowledge level in Hololens is very basic. I have installed Hololens emulator and unity. Created one sphere which can move on voice commands.

Answers

• Options

@ankitjaingc

3D scanning of real world objects, and in particular people, is number of orders of magnitude more complicated than standing in from of a laptop camera, at least for now.

Microsoft Research has people working on the Holoportation approach.

You could also explore basic photogrammetry to capture a stationary model.

Alternatively you could grab an off the shelf generic humanoid model or use a 3D modeling package to create a basic humanoid shape and animate it, which is more likely what your screen capture represents.

Bear in mind that the only body location that the HoleLens provides is the position of the device itself. So unless you are using additional external sensors (like in the Holoportation example) the animation of the 3D avatar would have to estimated based on head movement and maybe some reverse kinematics, but mostly faked.

HTH.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

@HoloSheep Is it possible to create one avatar for individual person, based on his/her physique and make it wearing shirt/jeans of size it fits into ?.

• Options

@ankitjaingc
    If your purpose is simply to have an avatar that resembles the person, then such an avatar could be created with a 3D modeling application like 3DS Max, Maya or even Sketchup if the creator had the 3D modeling and artistic skills. Much the same as someone could draw a personalized caricature of a person that the person could then use for their 2D avatar as can offend be found in use by people in their social media profiles.

On the other hand, if you are thinking more along the lines of a shopping and clothes fitting experience, then you would probably want to consider using one or more Kinect devices attached to a PC to do the capture.

Companies have created virtual fitting room experiences with the Kinect but such things fall in the advanced category, so you may want to work your way up to that after finishing a few more Holographic Academy sessions.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings