Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens Tutorials

Hi everyone, I want to create my own hologram.

There are awesome tutorials, but I don't understand if I should only do the 101 tutorial or if I need to do the 210 also after doing the 101 tutorial ????? please let me know. I want to tap and place my 3D model...

Answers

• Options

@dto,

Definitely go through all the available tutorials to learn the basic principles, but try to do it quickly and move on to the hololens toolkit. Unfortunately the toolkit documentation isn't great, but you should be able to pick up what's going on simply by going through the examples/tests and seeing how they work.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

@james_ashley said:
    @dto,

Definitely go through all the available tutorials to learn the basic principles, but try to do it quickly and move on to the hololens toolkit. Unfortunately the toolkit documentation isn't great, but you should be able to pick up what's going on simply by going through the examples/tests and seeing how they work.

okay, for tap to place... I tried the HTK but it doesn't work with my project.. or I just don't understand... :-(

• Options

@dto

Here is a thread with that summarizes the basic steps involved in creating a simple app from scratch.

You might want to give them a try if you haven't already.
    If you have any questions about any of the steps please let me know.

HTH.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options
    dtodto
    edited December 2016

@HoloSheep said:
    @dto

Here is a thread with that summarizes the basic steps involved in creating a simple app from scratch.

HTH.

I did that:

add empty game object to root of your scene hierarchy (name it ModelBase)
    •add 3D model (like a cube) as child of ModelBase
    •add 3D box collider as component of ModelBase
    •size 3D box collider to slightly larger than 3D model (in all dimensions) be sure to include the models origin inside 3D box collider area
    •add Cursor prefab from HTK to root of your scene hierarchy
    •add another empty game object to root of your screen hierarchy (name it Managers)
    add GazeManager script from HTK as component of Managers

I get here an error (which I attached you):

add GestureManager script from HTK as component of Managers

That's why I cant continue... And If I add the classes.... I'll get more and more errors... please tell me what to do, I'M LOST :(

• Options

s.PNG 55.6K
  • Options

And this happens If I add the SpatialMapping prefab... The Scripts are empty..

@HoloSheep said:
    @dto

HTH.

• Options

@dto - If you have the HoloToolkit installed, it should be showing under Assets in your project window, but I don't see it.  Try installing the HoloToolkit into your project, then see if that resolves a lot of your issues.

• Options

If you need help with installing it into your project, let me know

• Options

Please, I need help... Don't know how to install? I thought I can just copy the scripts which I need into my project...

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    If you need help with installing it into your project, let me know

• Options
    edited December 2016

Go grab the latest package from this site. https://riverar.github.io/HoloToolkit-Unity-Builds/

You will want to download the top .unitypackage file from that site.  Save it to a known location. Then, in Unity, in the menu bar, go to Assets, Import Package, Custom Package.  In the filepicker, select the unitypackage file you just downloaded and click Open. A new window will open showing all the contents of the HoloToolkit. You will want to uncheck the sharing section, as it well cause your project to break until you make some other changes, and you likely don't need sharing at this point. Then click the Import button, and it will add the HoloToolkit to your project.

• Options

Thank you so much! But there is no GestureManager and If I add the Script Gesture Manager (copy and paste) than I'll get "Please fix compile errors before creating new script components." like the errors before... and If I click "add components" and type GestureManager, there is also no GestureManager... PLEASE help :(

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    Go grab the latest package from this site. https://riverar.github.io/HoloToolkit-Unity-Builds/

You will want to download the top .unitypackage file from that site.  Save it to a known location. Then, in Unity, in the menu bar, go to Assets, Import Package, Custom Package.  In the filepicker, select the unitypackage file you just downloaded and click Open. A new window will open showing all the contents of the HoloToolkit. You will want to uncheck the sharing section, as it well cause your project to break until you make some other changes, and you likely don't need sharing at this point. Then click the Import button, and it will add the HoloToolkit to your project.

• Options

First Error "interactibleManager" and than the other attached picture... and even if I would create the other class, there is a new error...

• Options

there is no GestureManager... But If I search in google for GestureManager.cs, I'll found something but than I have so much errors, because every time is something missing..

@HoloSheep said:
    @dto

HTH.

no.PNG 47.7K
  • Options

The HoloToolkit has advanced quite a bit from when that tutorial was written. Go ahead and remove the items from your scene that are not working, like interactable, and gesture manager.

Once you are down to just your model, take the following steps.

1. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> Input -> PreFabs -> Cursor, drag the DefaultCursor prefab into your Hierarchy
    2. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> Input -> PreFabs, drag the InputManager prefab into your Hierarchy
    3. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> SpatialMapping -> PreFabs, drag the SpatialMapping prefab into your Hierarchy
    4. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> SpatialMapping -> Scripts, drag the TapToPlace script onto the object that you want to be able to tap to place.
    5. That should be all you need to do.
  • Options

Sorry, can't login into my "DTO" account...

so I get again some errors... The first error is, WorldAnchorManager... where do I need to add the script?

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    The HoloToolkit has advanced quite a bit from when that tutorial was written. Go ahead and remove the items from your scene that are not working, like interactable, and gesture manager.

Once you are down to just your model, take the following steps.

1. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> Input -> PreFabs -> Cursor, drag the DefaultCursor prefab into your Hierarchy
    2. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> Input -> PreFabs, drag the InputManager prefab into your Hierarchy
    3. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> SpatialMapping -> PreFabs, drag the SpatialMapping prefab into your Hierarchy
    4. Under Assets -> HoloToolkit -> SpatialMapping -> Scripts, drag the TapToPlace script onto the object that you want to be able to tap to place.
    5. That should be all you need to do.
    hier.PNG 260.4K
  • Options

I need to finish the task TapToPlace till tomorrow... hope that we can solve the problem today :(

• Options

Because of the other errors I created the project from scratch but I the WorldAnchorManager is still missing... Where should I add the Script? And If I add the script, I think that I have to add more...?

Please help, I appreciate it... want to finish the task TapToPlace... I'm trying it since a few months..

neww.PNG 267.1K
  • Options
    In your hierarchy, right click and create an empty game object and name it WorldAchorStore. Then you can drag the WorldAnchorStore script from Assets -> Holotoolkit -> Utilities -> Scripts onto your newly created empty game object. That should resolve that error.
  • Options

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    In your hierarchy, right click and create an empty game object and name it WorldAchorStore. Then you can drag the WorldAnchorStore script from Assets -> Holotoolkit -> Utilities -> Scripts onto your newly created empty game object. That should resolve that error.

I really appreciate your help! Its working now!! But If I click to the car than I see only the spatial mesh... i thought I would see the car placed at the floor or something like that...? Thanks you so much !!

• Options

So, I have not run this in awhile, but I believe when you tap, it shows the mesh, and you can use your gaze to move the car around, and it should show on the mesh where it has room. I may be wrong on this. Then I believe you tap again to place it in that spot.

• Options

So first I see the car and I also see the gaze (cursor) move the car around but If I look right or left or upper or down I don't see the car, the car is just straight in front of me. If I airtap to the car, the car is no more in the room and I only see the mesh. If I tap again nothing happens..

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    So, I have not run this in awhile, but I believe when you tap, it shows the mesh, and you can use your gaze to move the car around, and it should show on the mesh where it has room. I may be wrong on this. Then I believe you tap again to place it in that spot.

• Options

Can I also include now Chapter 2 Navigation to my model?
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/holograms_211
    Do you have a few tips for me? or can I just apply this on my model @Jesse_McCulloch

• Options

@AylinGuerkan - The academy courses are great for just following the tutorial and seeing what the HoloLens is capable of, but the methods used in them is not how you should be implementing your own application. The HoloToolkit has a new Input Module that is very well documented, and covers things like adding events for focus, click events, navigation events, etc. You are already halfway there with having the input manager, now it's more a matter of creating your scripts and implementing the correct interfaces. I invite you to join the HoloDevelopers slack group and feel free to ask for help in there.  You can join at http://holodevelopersslack.azurewebsites.net

• Options

@AylinGuerkan - I created something similar, and the reason it's not moving is you need to add a collider to your object. Easiest is to just add a simple box collider to your model.

• Options
    edited December 2016

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    @AylinGuerkan - I created something similar, and the reason it's not moving is you need to add a collider to your object. Easiest is to just add a simple box collider to your model.

I have a collider which is bigger than my model.. @Jesse_McCulloch

• Options
    edited December 2016

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    @AylinGuerkan - The academy courses are great for just following the tutorial and seeing what the HoloLens is capable of, but the methods used in them is not how you should be implementing your own application. The HoloToolkit has a new Input Module that is very well documented, and covers things like adding events for focus, click events, navigation events, etc. You are already halfway there with having the input manager, now it's more a matter of creating your scripts and implementing the correct interfaces. I invite you to join the HoloDevelopers slack group and feel free to ask for help in there.  You can join at http://holodevelopersslack.azurewebsites.net

Thanks for inviting @Jesse_McCulloch

I'll use the community!! :) hope that I can finish my project this month... navigate + textmesh