Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Creating Custom Holograms

Hello, I am a student studying Animation, focusing on computer graphics. I have a wide variety of models I have constructed as part of my studies and for other projects. I would like to know if it is possible to add my models to the Holograms app that comes with Hololens. I am aware of the FBX viewer app but from what I can tell it won't let me place permanent holograms within a share reality space in the same way the Holograms app can.

So, is there a way I can load custom models (either in .obj, .fbx or .ma formats) into the holograms app for placing in a shared reality space?

If this is not possible, I plan to design a Unity project that is capable of doing this, but I am not sure if it is possible for these holograms to persist in the same way that they do when using the Hologram app.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Ok thank you for that information, persistence across multiple uses of the app is definitely a step in the direction of what I was hoping for. I suppose if I can somehow figure a way to have my app continue running in the background while the user engages in other tasks it will get close to what I was imagining. That link is also very helpful, thank you. It answers my questions, and I'll begin working on a unity app with persistence that can access and leverage a library of custom models.

But this also leads me to another question-

Do you have any idea if the "shell" world as you called it will be opened for custom interactions? It seems like a virtual space desktop and as such I would really enjoy the ability to create tools and assets for users to modify their "shell" world in more ways than is currently available.

• Options

I'm not sure what the future plans are for sharing the 'shell' (or desktop, or whatever we're going to call it now).

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

What if I want to open multiple apps to place multiple items over the physical world?