Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens depth sensor and technology?

I need Just the principe of the technology. Like if is structured infrared like kinect v1 or time of flight camera like kinect v2, or some totally diferent ( rgb stereo vision, etc ... ).

I know the limitation of range ( no more than 3 meter aprox ) and light ambient of the depth technology, but I need more info to have and idea of the 3D model quality.

Answers

• Options

So are you asking about the Spatial Resolution that HoloLens is capable of?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options
    james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@pedro_orellana ,

It's time-of-flight. A good friend checked the IR pattern for me.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

Yep, I looked at a running HoloLens with a Kinect v2 sensor, an Orbbec Astra Pro and a generic InfraRed camera.

I didn't see any speckle (or other) patterns commonly associated by a Structured Light sensor.

Interestingly enough Kinect v2 and Orbbec showed some minor flickering lights on the HoloLens when looking directly at it but didn't see any of it's projected light. It seems these operate in different IR spectrums and don't interfere with each other.

The InfraRed camera (which sees a wider spectrum than Kienct v2 and Orbbec's) showed the HoloLens emitting the scene.
    It looked like it was illuminating similarly to other Time of Flight cameras by flooding the scene with very short burst of light.

• Options

So, I don't really have a great understanding of this tech, but I know the HoloLens has a tough time mapping a dark room. As such, would an infrared light source in the room help or hinder?

• Options

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    So, I don't really have a great understanding of this tech, but I know the HoloLens has a tough time mapping a dark room. As such, would an infrared light source in the room help or hinder?

A dark room is tougher? I'd be surprised, since I think the sensor is providing it's own illumination. As such, a brighter area may have issues, not dark.

• Options

Yeah, I was kind of surprised as well. But I was in my bedroom with the lights off to try and watch a movie, and it could not map the room sufficiently enough, so it put it into limited use mode...

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

If it is similar to the Kinect for the Xbox One, then here is a really in-depth rundown of the tech:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/icp.jsp?arnumber=6964815

The fact that it is time of flight in the first place is impressive. Say the round trip distance from the source, to the object, back to the sensor is 3 meters. The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s, so that is 3/c = 10.0069 nanoseconds, which is 9.9 MHz timing, for a single photon ray/pixel that the sensor is capturing. Of course you need far higher sampling to differentiate features smaller than 3 meters. If they achieve a 5 cm resolution that is 0.05 m / c = 0.16678 ns or 5.99 GHz timing, pretty crazy.

• Options
    HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    edited April 2016

@Jesse_McCulloch there is mention in the documentation under Handling Tracking errors that: "Sometimes, the device's sensors are not able to figure out where the device is. This can happen if the room is dark, or if the sensors are covered by hair or hands, or if the surroundings do not have enough texture."

Which would indicate that the HoloLens, like many other fusion sensor devices such as Project Tango tablet, also relies on visible light cameras like the 4 environment understanding cameras mentioned in the HoloLens hardware spec, along with the depth camera (which leverages the IR light emitters) for area mapping and understanding.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options
    Ah thanks @HoloSheep, I didn't consider the visual wavelength cameras as well. Now the darkness issue makes sense.
  • Options
    ContextVRContextVR ✭✭✭

A follow-up question to the HoloLens team: is it possible to switch from RGB camera to IR cameras to enable at least some degree of positional tracking in the dark?