Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Development Rig

OK, so if I buy one of these (yes I have an invite) I need a Windows box to feed it. In the world I play in that box in turn gets fed from cloud compute services for things like Caffe as well as Eigen utility engines, machine learning systems, etc. So the development system just needs to be able to develop/build the client - of course I want lots and lots of GPU power cause I have the disease :-) That said, anyone think I can get away with a tricked out alienware laptop ? Other suggestions ? It is a single purpose computer, hold, build, and run the client and blabber away on the internet at high speed.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    CoreyGoffCoreyGoff admin
    Answer ✓

Keep in mind that the HoloLens is a fully untethered Windows 10 device itself. You don't need dual 980s to power the device :) as apps are running on the HoloLens itself. For a dev machine we've been using a variety of things internally across the teams -- I normally use my Surface Pro 3.
    However, I completely understand wanting the power for other things but it's not required to build amazing experiences for the HoloLens.

Answers

• Options

OK, so this is what I'm considering - Alienware 17 - I'd do the 18, as it's a dual GPU beastie, but it's only Windows 8 and I'm wondering if thats cause of driver issues

• Options
    CoreyGoffCoreyGoff admin
    Answer ✓

Keep in mind that the HoloLens is a fully untethered Windows 10 device itself. You don't need dual 980s to power the device :) as apps are running on the HoloLens itself. For a dev machine we've been using a variety of things internally across the teams -- I normally use my Surface Pro 3.
    However, I completely understand wanting the power for other things but it's not required to build amazing experiences for the HoloLens.

• Options

@CoreyGoff can you tell us the grade of GPU that is in the developer kit version?

did / have you consider(ed) a modularized hololens (like you did with recent surface notebook) where gpu is decoupled into a separate piece (i.e. in the keyboard in the notebook). Have you considered intel compute on a stick so we can keep the hud / sensor components but flip out or supplement compute?

Will there be a MSFT advised framework for processing task offload to nearby devices (e.g. a win 10 phone, an IP somewhere) - impact on battery. can we farm out tasks without home brew of a mechanism to do so?

i6700k @4.9
    32 ddr4 @3333
    raid 0 pci.gen2 system drive (1800MB/s sustained 32kb random read, 900 write)
    raid 0 sata (intel 730 ssdx4 - ~900 as above R/W)
    3x SLI titan x

won't make a drop of odds as you say.

...notice me senpais...

• Options

I have a DELL LATITUDE D630, so no coding for me. But I am trying anyway. I have these ideas. These Ideas.

AnonOccupy #3DataBas #TransparentSEE #M1rr0R #Empyreon

• Options

@CoreyGoff I don't have a hololens personally , I will be using the hololens emulator , So is Apple's MacBook Pro 15' retina display

2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (5th Generation) (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory

, Enough for smooth developing for hololens?

• Options

@JakeCyrus108 As long as your computer meets the system requirements, you should be good to go