Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Washington DC area Hololens

Anyone in the DC area have a Hololens? I have an idea for a project but have a lot of questions as to the feasibility.

Comments

• Options

I have one. What are your questions?

• Options
    I want to explore the possibility of bringing CGI to live theatre. Big project I think, lots of questions in my head. First and somewhat pressing has to do with how far away a hologram can appear? Only 2-10ft away, or up to 100ft?

Are you using the Hololens for personal project or are you with a company?
  • Options

@Allen a quick search for HoloLens on meetup.com returned an AR group called DC Augmented Reality Meetup in your area that you might be able to connect with some local HoloLens users.

First and somewhat pressing has to do with how far away a hologram can appear? Only 2-10ft away, or up to 100ft?

Some anecdotal evidence... when I participated in this years Holograhic Academy at Build, I was part of a team of 9 participants that were connected to a shared multi-user experience. As part of an exercise, each of us had a floating robot head avatar called a Poly (as seen in the picture below) that floated above our heads. Each participant could see the other participants avatar above their heads.

I had read about some distance limitations of the depth camera in the docs and mistakenly thought that we would not be able to see holograms like these if one of the participants walked to the other side of the room (which was maybe 50ft+ away).

One of our helpful mentors, and Poly's dad ( @Monday not to name names :) ), corrected me and said sure try it out so I did.

Yep, definitely could see holograms further than the 3.1 meters of the depth camera and beyond the 5m end of the optimal viewing zone.

Just keep in mind that at those kinds of large distances the experience will be way less than optimal. Being able to control the light in the space, as you could in the theatre, would be important and you would want to try and optimize the brightness, color and other aspects of your hologram to be viewed from afar.

But, yes, under the right conditions I am pretty sure you could have a hologram apear up to 100ft away.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings