Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Is it normal for colors to be innacurate

I got my hololens a couple of days ago, it's great but the colors aren't right.

It's hard to explain, but if hololens is displaying white content, you see a multicolor pattern instead of white, perhaps you'd see white in some areas of the screen.

Each eye has a different color pattern as well, and the left one for me has a big vertical green line in the center and it makes it kind of annoying to use if you are watching 2D content like a movie.

Its easiest to see the issue when you run the calibration, and they ask you to close one eye. The other eye will display a 'white screen' and the color issue is super visible then.

Is it just mine or all hololenses have these issues?

Answers

• Options

@JavierBayArea they mention color separation issues in the documentation in the design section as guidance when developing apps. However it sounds like you are seeing the issue in the built in apps.

Does it look worse than they describe in the docs?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options
    edited April 2016

No it's not color separation, although when you first use the hololens it is noticeable after a while you don't anymore.

now that i read that doc, i think it's what they refer to as: "Color Non-uniformities"

• Options

That doesn't sound like my experience with the device, but a visual would help. I wonder if you could take a picture with a cell phone camera aimed at one of the displays.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

@JavierBayArea,
    Some color differences are to be expected. Certain colors, like white, should be used very sparingly (or not at all). See the color design page for more information. In general, it is best to avoid using pure white, as it can result in a rainbow effect. Too much green can also be bad (you might start seeing a greenish double of your object) because this color is rendered more often, and black will appear transparent on the HoloLens. While you experiment with color, you will find that some colors do not look as good on the HoloLens as they did in the Unity editor and/or it is difficult to distinguish between colors that have similar RGB values. Always test in the device before determining your final color options.
    I hope this helps,
    ~Angela

• Options

Heres some pics for reference

• Options
    @JavierBayArea was your issue ever resolved? I just got my Hololens and I'm running into the same color issues...
  • Options
    @SchematicAddict @JavierBayArea I also have/had the same issue. Microsoft said it was normal to see an oil-base discoloration around the edges, but not in the middle. They sent me two new replacement units, but they also had the same problem (e.g. one lens is clear, while the other either purple, or yellowish). I'm getting the feeling that it's actually a hardware problem and a bad batch.
  • Options
    @HoloSheep @Patrick are you seeing the same issue? Curious if you could snap a shot with you phone and post it?
  • Options

The HoloLens received at my job has the same issue. I saw it when I was watching videos and the skin color was purple/pink in my left eye. It is like a vertical purple/pink bar in the left screen and the right screen is better but not so much.

• Options
    I have been working with customer service on this issue for a few months. I have done 3 exchanges before they told me that they will not do anymore exchanges and will not do refunds. This is not a quality product in my opinion.
  • Options

My problem is different. I see rainbow at the corner.
    has anyone had same problem as mine? the devise is off in the picture. but its same when its on.

• Options

Hello Everyone, I made an account just to share my experience since this was a problem with my Hololens, and I searched like crazy for an answer, after all I had a faulty device with no warranty that costed several thousand Dollars.

What I found out is that it is very probable that it fell or got hit during handling, I tried looking through the edges of the display, moving my head around, and realized that the colors were displayed correctly if I put my head extremely to the right. I concluded that the angle placement of the Display inside had moved a little (talking about less than a millimeter).

What solved the problem for me was giving the hololens little taps to the opposite side of this angle deviation. when I tried the hololens back on, the faulty colors were fixed, my assumption, because this little misalignment done when dropped was now restored to the correct Angle.

• Options

@Wardrip said:
    I have been working with customer service on this issue for a few months. I have done 3 exchanges before they told me that they will not do anymore exchanges and will not do refunds. This is not a quality product in my opinion.

Did you have the Developer edition or commercial edition?