Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Mesh simplifier

Anyone knows about a free mesh simplifier? I need to optimize the rendering speed of my project, I played with the settings to the extent possible. Now I need to start to discard polygons...

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Simplygon has a free Unity plugin.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

Out of curiosity, how many polys do you have in the view? Just curious how many before Hololens starts slowing down some. Though, depending what you're doing, you may want to make sure you're not running into CPU limited frame rate issues.

• Options

@Jarrod1937 68k polys. I'm using the 'fastest' setting on project quality settings, and I lowered the size and resolution of my textures :(

• Options

Thanks for the info @ahillier I going to try with a different shader along with mesh simplication. My project potentially will have a lot of objects, and I need to strictly handle the number of polys.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

In that case I would recommend looking into atlasing and object grouping. What does the profiler say about the amount of draw calls you're doing?

Edit: Something like this:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33405

I believe Unity has built in options for this, but not very easy to work with. That will combine your static meshes (anything static should be marked for other optimizations anyways), and combine your textures to achieve a lower draw call amount.

• Options

@Patrick do you have simplygon working with the latest Unity 14b? I'm getting the error "get_datapath is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor..." and doesn't take my object into the Simplygon's 'Target Assets' dialog.

• Options

Yes, I do. I see the same errors, but I am still able to reduce the Astroman in the gaze/gesture/voice tutorials.

What I did:
    1. put the object I want to reduce in the scene
    2. Select the object in the hierarchy
    3. Select window->Simplygon
    4. Click the yellow symbol under click me to process
    5. Then switch to the manage jobs tab in the Simplygon window
    6. and either click the 'download automatically' or wait for the job to be done and click download. <-- this bit took me awhile to figure out. :)
    7. Then in the assets folder there will be an LODs folder that has the simplified model.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• Options

I don't recall whether/how this is exposed via Unity/HoloToolKit, but at the platform API level, there's a parameter to control the density of triangles returned by the system. See the maxTrianglesPerCubicMeter parameter to SpatialSurfaceInfo.TryComputeLatestMeshAsync.

• Options

For Spatial Mapping that parameter is exposed through the prefab in the HoloToolkit. I'm pretty sure that Bernie is using his own models, so that parameter might not apply in this case.

===

• Options

And it would be good to know if the problem is rendering or something else. In my case, I can render an "expensive" model fine, but the physics raycast brings performance to a crawl.

For physics, simplification is necessary, as raycasts are poly intersection tests.

For rendering, polygons are pretty cheap, but draw calls are (mostly) not.
    Make sure to use the frame debugger (window->frame debugger) to figure out just what is expensive before adjusting.

• Options
    edited December 2016

So 68k is already too much for Hololens?!
    I mean, I am trying to run 1-4M vertices for architecture building out of ifc file. I guess Hololens will never get that far...I can't really simplify since most simplifier/decimater tools will break the hierarchy. I really thought Hololens was loaded with state of the art hardware but that looks quite limited doesn't it?