Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

For those who got Hololens - what DONT you like?

After having the device for a few days or weeks, what are some things you dont like about it? Or to put it more constructively - what could be better?

Answers

• Options

I wish it would accept OpenGL or make porting OpenGL app easier.

• Options

Definitely I would love to have a bigger field of view, and more rendering muscle.

• Options

The weight is not too bad, but sometimes you have to really play with it to get it balanced just right so that it's not putting too much pressure on the bridge of the nose or on the forehead strap.

• Options

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    The weight is not too bad, but sometimes you have to really play with it to get it balanced just right so that it's not putting too much pressure on the bridge of the nose or on the forehead strap.

Try using the included crown strap that clips on to the inner headband and goes directly over the top of your head. A lot of people don't know what it does, but it can dramatically improve comfort for longer periods of use. Give it a shot and let us know what you think.

I am a former lion tamer and an avid collector of butterflies.

• Options

I do use the crown strap, and it does help a lot, but it's still something that you notice is there, especially after a couple hours of use.

• Options

I'd want to see more significant 3d metaphors.
    The keyboard is a good example,
    its flat, it should be in 3d like a real keyboard perhaps even with the Microsoft logo, tilted slightly, or if I need to write something, one would assume the simplest thing is to jot it with your finger on the nearest surface like your other hand. Perhaps they tried it and the finger tracking is not so great. I wonder why, leap motion achieves great hand tracking with much inferior hardware. So I'm optimistic.
    Oh, in the keyboard, if you use the mic trying to be "hands free", how do you get out of the text editing with your voice (clicking the "done" works of course),
    thanks!

• Options

When moving windows around (browser) the text is a little blurry. Can kind of see three color separation? Moving faster is a little worse. Not like I"m reading the text as I move but it is a little eye boggling. Also notice same when slowly scrolling up and down when for example reading a long news page in browser. This may be because I have the windows jacked up in size Iike I'm at a drive in theater.

Love the voice, it works really well, "select" especially - fast and crisp. As mentioned above more commands like close keyboard, page down in the browser, maybe a general 'close' or 'esc' like command that you're sure is going to work wherever you're at. (like Ctrl-w)

Would be neat if all these cool photos that now paint my office walls :smile: would go fullscreen mode (no title bar). Escaping fullscreen and re-showing menu could be accomplished by selecting?

Ok back to Skyping everyone I know to show them the awesomeness!

N6MAA10816

• Options

I understand the small screen size. However, I believe we can do WAY better on the gestures, perhaps Leap level or better. I way to grab an object, rotate it a specific direction, or use two hands to enlarge.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

@JimGale said:
    I understand the small screen size. However, I believe we can do WAY better on the gestures, perhaps Leap level or better. I way to grab an object, rotate it a specific direction, or use two hands to enlarge.

I'm with you, but I also like the current gesture format as it is concise. The issue you have when you're doing more natural hand movements is that, without haptic feedback, it can get difficult for you to precisely define your intent. The system may also have a difficult time telling your intent, are you meaning to rotate that sphere or are you just moving your arm to a new location? This can be done, but to avoid false positives you will likely have to introduce an action delay, so that actions have to be defined for a particular time before they take effect. I think this is what causes the sluggish interactions I see in the Meta 2 videos (I've been watching the Hololens and Meta 2 very closely).

• Options

+1 on better gestures

Taqtile

• Options
    edited May 2016

or use two hands to enlarge.

You can use 2 hands to enlarge objects, and move objects in the scene based on your xyz hand movement delta, but you don't get rotation from the hands which would make it 100x better, and they def should work toward adding leap quality hand skeleton tracking....

You get an x,y,z value of one or both detected hands from the InteractionManager.SourceUpdated event.

I wish there was raw access to the depth buffer and a coordinate mapper like kinectv2 to cross reference depth pixels with the same pixel from the color frame from the camera, so we could scan objects and uv/texture them at the same time....like the kinect does....