Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Saving and reloading window groups

Hi,

If I set up a group of windows in certain locations, is there a way of saving those windows/locations, closing them, and reloading the group with their locations later?

Is it possible to do this without programming? Through the OS or an app?

Thanks,
Kerry

Answers

• Options

Not with UWP based forms. With a UWP application you can't position the Window at all. However, with a Unity or DirectX application you can pop-up a 2D Window based on location (e.g. near an Anchor) but you have still to manually place the form.

• Options

Maybe I should explain the use case that is on my mind. I'm imagining a situation where I get some things set up around my desk for a particular activity. And then I'd like to task switch and set up windows or apps in a different configuration. It would be great to be able to close one group of related things in my (physical) environment and quickly open up another group of related things into my (physical) environment. Is it possible to do this somehow? Is there any existing functionality anywhere built already?

Am I asking this question in the correct forum?

Thanks!

• Options

From what you've written, it sounds like you're talking about how you have your workspace setup (also sometimes referred to as the shell). Where you've placed 2D apps, holograms, and placeholders for 3D apps.

And it sounds like you're wanting a feature like desktop switching in Windows 10.

If we're talking about the same thing, then this layout information is stored in what the HoloLens refers to as "Spaces". You can find these in Settings -> System -> Spaces.

Spaces are closely tide to both the shape of the room(s) you are in as well as the visible Wifi access points nearby. When you go to a radically different place with different room shapes and different access points nearby, a new Space is automatically created for you. When you return to a place you've been before, the HoloLens tries to recognize that place based on the shape of the room(s) and the access points nearby and tries to load the best one. It's really good at this.

Using the Settings app, you can force the HoloLens to load a particular Space. When you do, it will try to align that Space to your world. So, theoretically, if you could get the HoloLens to create two Spaces for the same room, you could manually switch between them.

Unfortunately there are some challenges with this:

1. There is currently no way to force a new Space to be created. They are only created automatically when the system determines you are in a new place.
    2. Even if two Spaces were created for the same room, since the shape of the room and the nearby access points are the same, it would probably seem random which Space the system chose to load on boot. (You could manually switch it.)
    3. It's not clear to me what happens to running applications when you force a Space change. I'm assuming running apps get suspended and then shut down. You'd have to play with this.

So, the long answer to your question is that it's technically possible but it's not a use case that is fully designed into the OS at this stage.

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.