Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

development tools

Hey,

Trying to install the dev tools on a laptop, not such a great gpu but superb cpu and such,
I want the most thin installation, I was wondering what my options are,
the link to download vs goes to community which installs (14GB) seems extensive but its only the beginning, the emulator (do I need it?)
I'm going to do unity stuff not windows universal if that helps reduce the vs requirements,

any hints to the safe harbor (disk space running very low), appreciated,
-t

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Hello Tzurs,

You would have to use Visual Studio (code editor and deploiement). Choose the minimum options (only UWP last tools) to reduce the installed size.

Unless you have a physical device, you should download the emulator to try your app. But it comes in a separate link : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=724053

Regards :smile:

• Options

thanks,
    luckily I have one, so I don't want to simulator. when you say minimal on the vs, do I need the c++ (marked for some reason), c# doesn't show there, f# does but unchecked. not sure why I would need all these, I'm trying to get the bare minimum, if possible.

• Options

@tzurs just an FYI... it is fairly easy to go back and modify (as in add to) your install choices for VS later.

If later you go to "Add or remove programs" and find VS community 2015 on the list, then click modify, you get back this same list and you can add options that you didn't pick on your initial install.

So you might be okay making a note and unchecking any option you think you might be able to do without. Then if necessary run modify and add it later if needed.

As for the emulator, Unity Holographic apps are also Windows UWP apps so the emulator is just as useful for Unity apps, however if you have a device you can deploy and test directly to the device and you do not "need" the emulator.

HTH.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

very helpful @HoloSheep , thanks!

I wanted a little more specifics,
    coding for hololens in unity is done in c# if I understand correctly, so I'm asking if I need the c/c++ compiler and what other tools (didn't know a compiler take 15GB... :-)
    anyhow,
    let me rephrase my question:
    Suppose I'd want to write an application that places a 3d ball in red opaque in front of my hand, no interaction nothing. :-)
    which tools are the bare minimum to code, deploy and debug the deployed app?

If anyone knows which ticks are needed in the above images and what is the disk space for that, I'd love to hear about it..

• Options

cool, so I'm done with that, it was 17GB for the min. vs I can't get below. Emulator not included (and not needed). Unity installed but didn't report size its the tech preview system no documentation installed.

All runs ok on an i7 x420 8gb m, ssd. Deployed successfully to the device over wifi.
    For this, relatively pain free experience.

The loop (fix in unity, build, reload in vs (left open), build, deploy) is unrealistic for quick cycle development with a new device with such little experience of what the desired outcome is.. :smile:

I recently asked about recommended hardware for developer,
    I'm spinning this Q a little, what is the cause the relative slowness in build (I'm talking the sample project origami) and the very slow vs build. I haven't got the time to dive in, perhaps someone knows?

What can be done to create a much quicker dev cycle?

thanks!
    -t