Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Issues with Hololens 101 Cursor Tutorial

I am going through the tutorials and created the Origami scene fine and it deployed to Hololens emulator perfectly.
Next I tried to add the Cursor and script. When viewing in the emulator I can see the Origami scene (I can't see any cursor), but when I attempt to move the scene to the centre of the view so I can see the cursor it seems to suddenly 'zoom in' to the scene and then I can't see anything apart from black. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as I've literally only added the Cursor and attached the provided C# script to it. Any help appreciated.

Best Answer

• Options
    AshAsh
    Answer ✓

I retried the whole process about 4 times. And suddenly it worked. I have no idea what I did differently but must have been something, so all seems fine now.

Answers

• Options
    AshAsh
    Answer ✓

I retried the whole process about 4 times. And suddenly it worked. I have no idea what I did differently but must have been something, so all seems fine now.

• Options

I was able to get the cursor to work on the provided stage and spheres but I imported another object into Unity (a "bed-bett" model from Sketchup) the cursor script didn't register its presence. I tried adding a mesh to my bed-bett object but that didn't solve the problem. Is there any info on how one can make/configure objects so that they will work as well and look as good as origami objects provided for the tutorial?

• Options

An interesting article on cursors, thanks. I'd still welcome some advice on how to make/configure objects though. I haven't figured out yet you to reproduce the edge quality of the fan and the paper airplanes in the tutorial nor make my own imported objects interact with the gaze ray trace.

• Options

Once you get the cursors wired up and working, you need to get into the input bits of the toolkit. I have more posts about that, you can start here. Basically setup the cursors like usual (make sure you have an EventSystem in the scene), add a script to the object you want to interact with, and implement IInputClickHandler (you have lots of other interfaces to work with, my post links to details).

Regarding the quality of the models in the tutorials, those are just nice models that took some folks a good bit of time to create. Not sure that MS made them or got them from somewhere, but the origami tutorial probably took a really good artist/modeler at least a few days to make everything in that tutorial. Modeling and design are really fun if you want to get into that side of things too.

• Options

Thanks for all the replies and help.