Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

HoloLens large 3d model positioning

edited March 2017 in Questions And Answers

Hi!
I want to show very large 3d model (treat it as large building) in the augmented reality using HoloLens.
I understand the hardware limitations here, so suppose the model would not contain much polygons.
I've checked the docs and my vision of Hololens usage that I could prepare 3d model using Blender, then export it and load 3d model using Unity.
Then I would be able to walk near the model shown (go around, for example), and enter inside (using gaps or doors).
I believe. this feature is provided by HoloLens out-of -the-box (with the minimum of coding, of course).
Could it be any issues here? Is my concept right?
My concerns are most about positioning and navigation, as HoloLens has no GPS and the model size is large, as I told.
I want some answers from real Hololens device owners.
I still waiting for my ordered kit to be delivered, so I could not check it myself for now.
But the answer is important for me because I need to have workaround for the case of some issues, or maybe completely change the concept.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

hi @therealmasel you can load model to calling either RestApi or else AssetBundle .

• Options

@Ankit09_Sangani said:
    hi @therealmasel you can load model to calling either RestApi or else AssetBundle .

Hi, Ankit09_Sangani.
    Thank your for reply.
    As I wrote, my concerns are most about positioning and navigation, as HoloLens has no GPS and the model size is large, as I told.
    So assume I've already loaded the model of large building. Would be any issues of navigation inside it?
    Could I walk around it?

• Options

hi @therealmasel
    for navigation you can set multiple camera and change camera with the used of Voice Command Like Go to First Floor etc.

• Options
    edited March 2017

@Ankit09_Sangani said:
    hi @therealmasel
    for navigation you can set multiple camera and change camera with the used of Voice Command Like Go to First Floor etc.

Hi, @Ankit09_Sangani!
    Do you mean that I'll have to split large 3d model into small chunks (mini models) and switch between them? For example: the dining room, the bedroom, bath,...
    My concern is still about tracking loss.

• Options

Hi, @therealmasel

No, You can Load full large scale 3d model and set multiple camera on Model. And set camera positioning in dining room,bedroom etc. write script change camera on voice Command may be then you can't tracking loss.
    Thanks,
    Ankit Sangani