Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

New Visions for occupation

I'm new to this forum, and to be honest am probably in over my head. While my primary occupation is that of an occupational therapist, I have this drive to do more with technology, specifically AR. I am "techy", but have absolutely NO education in programming, coding, etc. I have taken time to learn some coding language but nothing that has truly stuck. As a man in my 40's is it plausible for me to go above and beyond and immerse myself in this? If so where do I start? What education / courses / information do I need? I would really appreciate any positive input. I have so many ideas as to how this could assist the many students with Autism Spectrum disorder and other disabilities that i work with.

Thanks in advance,

JL

Answers

• Options
    edited March 2017

Even though I've been developing software professionally since college, I get where you're coming from. I've been primarily a web developer, only ever tinkering on the side with things like unity development for about 3 years, arduinos, and various piddly attempts at mobile development. I didn't get truly serious with unity until the beginning of this year, so I've only scratched the surface and worse yet - since I know what (little) I do know - I know I don't know much at all =) I'll be taking my unity certification exam in a few weeks though, so we'll see how that goes.

I guess the old adage of 'it's never too late' applies here - if you want to give it a serious go then do it. Like a lot of things, the longer you wait the harder you may have to work but that's all up to your determination, you may find this is what you were meant to do all along!

Anyway, to get started, start googling unity tutorials, watch videos, peruse blogs, just absorb everything you can and practice. I assume since you're here, you're first interest is focused on the HoloLens. So here's a quick list to dive into:
    1. Google unity tutorials - do the first handful at least before you do anything else.
    2. Next, here is my blog - it will hand-hold you through the first phases of getting started with HoloLens development, and link you to all the good stuff. Consider it a companion of sorts to the academy courses.
    3. 1. Dang it - sorry but some of the academy links changed their URLs and now my blog has some broken links - if you get a 404 just google the link text until I can get time to find and fix them all...

Good luck and hope you find what you're looking for!