Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Windows Mixed Reality - Immersive headset NOT in Windows 10 Creators Update April 2017

Windows Mixed Reality Immersive headset support will NOT be final released until at least October 2017.

The Web page Using the Windows Mixed Reality simulator is all that remains as the Immersive headset pages have been taken down.

The main difference and problem is that HoloLens Apps from Windows Store CANNOT be loaded into the Mixed Reality simulator.

Visual Studio 2017 - No Holographic Templates
Windows 10 SDK 15053 - High Feedback problems
Mixed Reality Portal easily crashes in simulation - really negative Windows Feedback.

So for now HoloLens is the only real Windows Mixed Reality device

Comments

• Options

The above discussion is false!

@Jimbohalo10. What is written here misrepresents what is included in the Windows 10 Creators Update. There are plenty of pages for immersive headsets, and more coming every day (see all pages). Furthermore, hardware has been shipping to developers as was announced at GDC a month ago. For developers without the immersive headsets, they can indeed use the Mixed Reality Portal with simulation to get started.

HoloLens is indeed a mixed reality device. But it is not alone -- Windows Mixed Reality immersive devices are in the hands of developers now.

• Options

Well I offer my apologies for this error. There does seem a lot of mis-information around.
    Perhaps you could delete the whole discussion please!.

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

@Brandon
    In hindsight the series of emails that I relied on did NOT come from Microsoft, but were spoof. They came from someone called "James", in "The Windows Mixed Reality Team", The email have Microsoft emblems, but does no exist

The really strange thing is that they wanted my voice phone number to talk to me!.
    No one ever asked for that before, expect journalists!, trying to spread bad news

Oh! Yes they were offering a "free", HMD headset!!!!
    I still think this discussion should be deleted, and in future I wont rely on random emails
    Thanks

• Options

@Brandon: Can you confirm that devices are being sent out to developers? Last I heard from @Vanessa and James Taylor from Kingpin (a contractor) on March 31 and April 1 respectively, they are still trying to determine which developers are going to get devices, and devices are not being sent out yet. So, which is it?

• Options

Also @Jimbohalo10, you can load HoloLens apps that you create into the mixed reality portal simulator. You simply deploy to local machine from Visual Studio instead of to device or remote machine, and then when you load the simulator, your app should be in the app list. I was able to confirm this on Friday.

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    Also @Jimbohalo10, you can load HoloLens apps that you create into the mixed reality portal simulator. You simply deploy to local machine from Visual Studio instead of to device or remote machine, and then when you load the simulator, your app should be in the app list. I was able to confirm this on Friday.

Well thanks for that, but really my main interest now is in updating documentation for the Windows Mixed Reality, and in HoloLens and updating to Visual Studio 17 and test building the whole library et all.

Created a workaround for the getting Holographic template forking in VS 17 and runs in HL Emulator. The App Manifest will need to be changed for Windows Mixed Reality as currently fails with DEP600 error as a local app