Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Problems with SpectatorView

Hi Windows Holographic Developers,

I’m currently having some trouble with Spectator View. Everything is has compiled and appears to be set up correctly, but there is a discrepancy between what I see in the SpectatorView Hololens and what I see in the compositor view, even though both are running the SharedHolograms project from the SpectatorView samples folder. In the SpectatorView hololens, I see four colored fairies bobbing up and down, while in on my local machine I see a crown-like “energy hub” instead of the four fairies. The sharing service is set up, and both my computer and the hololens have connected to it. I know this is so because when I move the hololens, the energy hub on my PC moves accordingly. The compositor is working, but I only see the “energy hub” hologram when I change its z position in the inspector.

Feels like I’m missing something simple...
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason Levine
Senior Creative Technologist
Local Projects

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    witianwitian
    edited March 2017 Answer ✓

Ok.... finally figured this out. Once both users have joined the Default session (PC and the HoloLens) you will see the "fairies" in the HoloLens and nothing in the compositor on the PC or in the Editor (because the hub seems to fly away).

Now, on the HoloLens mounted on the camera, move it so that the fuzzy cursor is over any robot and then do an air tap. You should then see the blue hub appear in the center. It will open up and project some kind of "hologram" sphere above it. You should now see it in both the compositor, Editor, and the HoloLens mounted on the camera!

Note that the "fairy" you pick is the one that will float above-left of your HoloLens. You can shoot other robots above other HoloLens devices that joined the session.

Answers

• Options

update: Looking at the output of the Sharing Service, I noticed two things

1) Both my PC and the Hololens are 'user0'. Should they have unique user ids?
    2) After a while 'ListServer: Handshake failed with error 1' appears in the log. The 'energy hub' on the PC continues to move accordingly when I move the Hololens, but this does seem suspicious.

SharingService: ***********************************
    SharingService: ****** Sharing Service OnStart ******
    SharingService: ***********************************
    SharingService: Server Info:
    Build Version: 1.1.0.0
    Schema Version: 17
    SharingService: Listening for session list connections on port 20602 of all network devices of the local machine.
    SharingService: Local IP addresses are:
    SharingService: 192.168.42.127
    SharingService: Created Session "Default" with ID 0 on port 20601
    SharingService: User User0 at address 192.168.201.228 joined session Default
    SharingService: User User0 at address 192.168.42.127 joined session Default
    SharingService: ListServer: Handshake failed with error 1

• Options
    witianwitian
    edited March 2017

My guess is that your "Sharing Stage" component on your "Sharing" prefab instance in your scene has the "Server Address" field set to "localhost". Change that to match the IP (of your PC) that you are using in the "Sharing Service IP" field of "SpectatorViewManager" in your scene. This should resolve the "Handshake failed with error 1" issue.

It likely won't resolve the issue of the "fairies" not appearing in the compositor and in the Editor though. Not sure why that isn't working yet as I am having the same issue you are. If I find out how to fix this, I'll post the solution here.

• Options
    witianwitian
    edited March 2017 Answer ✓

Ok.... finally figured this out. Once both users have joined the Default session (PC and the HoloLens) you will see the "fairies" in the HoloLens and nothing in the compositor on the PC or in the Editor (because the hub seems to fly away).

Now, on the HoloLens mounted on the camera, move it so that the fuzzy cursor is over any robot and then do an air tap. You should then see the blue hub appear in the center. It will open up and project some kind of "hologram" sphere above it. You should now see it in both the compositor, Editor, and the HoloLens mounted on the camera!

Note that the "fairy" you pick is the one that will float above-left of your HoloLens. You can shoot other robots above other HoloLens devices that joined the session.

• Options

Thanks witian! This worked perfectly.