Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Can Unity build a 'Holograms' type app? (not taking over the world)

You know, how you can have the Hologram app leave stuff all over your world? I'd like to have a Unity app that does not take over the world (hiding all my 'desktop' holograms). In truth, I'd like to have my app do it's little thing and have Skype and Edge available at the same time in the same space. Possible? Would I build to XAML instead of D3D?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Hi Patrick,
    nor sure if this exactly answers the question. There is a Holograms app on HoloLens, where one can select multiple holograms and put them somewhere in the world. It is a common scenario, which exactly does what WearableAR asked for.
    It is a correct that app must be running (which is rather limitation than an advantage).

The question is how to make a hologram, wich takse a limited part of the world?

• Options

So far as I have been able to determine, the main HoloShell runs only one app at a time. There are two related issues - can multiple apps run, and can mutiple apps be seen in the world. When you run a 2D windowed app, the others stop and ideally you get to see a still frame image of the other apps, like referring to an excel spreadsheet cell as you enter something in Word. Or sometimes other apps have a blank window. This is common on phones for performance, and I have been very impressed with HoloLens' excellent graphics performance, but I really hope the HoloLens allows multiple apps to run and be seen soon as an update (this is sometimes referred to as mixed mode). There is wonderful potential in HoloLens for using several screens in your room. Currently when HoloShell launches a Unity app it takes over the scene and other windows / holograms are not visible. Possibly HoloShell can be updated to allow Unity apps to run while it shows other apps even with the single app performance approach. For developers, it may be possible someone can develop a method to grab other windows/apps as textures to show in Unity for their information value but likely they would be not be actively running until this is allowed.

• Options

I've been trying to get an answer to this question for some time. The answers you get are like the 3D hologram launching 2D app must stay open, (that's ok),, or take a look at the HoloLens 101 tutorial that I got in another thread with the same question. It seems like the question isn't understood.

What I have found so far is a way to launch a Unity take over the world app and return to the launching 2D app, not the answer and what were after.

We know that you can run a 3D hologram in a cube frame from a 2D app as you can with the Holograms app and still be able to launch another 2D app. For some reason we can't get an answer as to how the Hologram app does this. Maybe it's cheating with a win32 API?

• Options

Hi, There is any new on this? Is now available to do it?

• Options

I think were waiting on the release of some APIs.