Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Sharing test scene

Hello,

I'm trying to use the sharing test scene that comes with HoloToolkit. I started the server on my machine, added the server address to the Sharing Stage component in Unity, added InternetClient capability as a build setting, and tried deploying the scene to two hololens devices. I can see from the server console that both devices joined the session, but when I deploy the sharing scene, the sphere from that scene shows up in different places for the different devices. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Answers

• Options

Hi @uwjk,
    One of the most tricky things with sharing is establishing a common anchor point. For best results, we suggest having only one HoloLens join the sharing service first, wait for the anchor to be established, and then have the other HoloLens devices join the session. As long as your service is kept running, the anchor should persist between deploys. However, if you shut the service down, you will need to re-establish the anchor again.

If you can't get the second HoloLens to see the same hologram, then it might have an incomplete understanding of the environment. Walk around with the device and make sure that you get in the same position as the first HoloLens that established the anchor. Once both HoloLens devices have a similar understanding of the environment, they will usually agree on where the anchor should be and you'll see the hologram jump to the common location.

If you don't know which HoloLens established the anchor, then you'll want to start again from a clean state. To clear the anchor, be sure to close out the application on both devices and shut down the sharing service. Then start the sharing service again and join the session with the HoloLens that has the best spatial map of the environment.

• Options

Thanks, for the quick reply. I'll give this a try! Is there a visual cue to signify that an anchor has been established?

• Options

Yes, when the cursor is not on a hologram it will change color depending on the state of establishing an anchor.
    pinkish = Anchor established
    blue = Downloading
    Green = uploading
    Yellow = Trying to find the anchor that was downloaded

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

Hey @uwjk,
    I believe that @Patrick is referring to the cursor used in the Holographic Academy 240 course for sharing. That cursor will change color based on the anchor state. However, it does not look like the test scene in the HoloToolkit has a cursor. You could copy the cursor from the Academy course into this scene. You can also see this information from the Debug.Log events, if you run with the debugger.

• Options

Ah ok, thank you for clarifying. Yes -- I noticed there wasn't a cursor in the sharing scene, so thanks for the tips on how to add one!

• Options

@ahillier and @Patrick -- I've been looking at the Holographic Academy 240 files and did not see where the cursor color is set in relation to the status of the anchor -- can you direct me to the script where that happens?

• Options

The script is called 'SetStatusColor' and it is attached to the CursorOffHologram's point light.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

Thanks a bunch!