Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How to distinguish "spaces" on the HoloLens

I connect to a corporate WiFi system with my HoloLens. There are many APs and they all share the same SSID. When I use the HoloLens at the office, I end up having multiple spaces, all named the same SSID. Is it possible to name these spaces differently? For instance I know where I am at in the Building. Can I manage these spaces by changing the name after it has been created, so I know what I'm loading when I go back there and manually LOAD a space.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    ContextVRContextVR ✭✭✭

Both Fragments and Young Conker have functionality where you can assign a space to one of several pre-configured names, but you can't use an arbitrary name. I also remember scanning a space in Young Conker and seeing it show up in Fragments, but they didn't show up as separate spaces in HoloLens system settings.

How do you manually load a space?

A Microsoft developer mentioned there was a private API to load an externally scanned space, perhaps they will open that up in the future.

• Options

Is there any update on the ability to rename "spaces"?

• Options
    irsathirsath
    edited November 2016

@ContextVR said:
    Both Fragments and Young Conker have functionality where you can assign a space to one of several pre-configured names, but you can't use an arbitrary name. I also remember scanning a space in Young Conker and seeing it show up in Fragments, but they didn't show up as separate spaces in HoloLens system settings.

How do you manually load a space?

A Microsoft developer mentioned there was a private API to load an externally scanned space, perhaps they will open that up in the future.

Is there any new on this private API ?
    How can I save space externally (like in a database hosted over the network) and load them by scripts ?
    Is there any way to convert a FBX 3D scan of a room into a Hololens readable space so the device can recognize my 3D scan (done with another device than an Hololens) as a pre-scanned space by the Hololens ?
    So I can place Holograms in Unity considering my FBX scan and when the app is run on the device, it automatically set those Hologram in the correct position in my real world.