Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How would you implement a back or dismiss gesture?

Recently, I've felt there is a glaring omission of a back / dismiss gesture. I'd like to be able to swipe my hand to dismiss or wave away something I no longer needed. The current mechanism for closing out windows etc is a little clunky.

Any thoughts or opinions on how this could be achieved with the current HoloLens/HoloToolkit in Unity?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Random thought of the day. I remember in some mobile apps shaking is represented as some sort of dismiss. I'm sure you can implement something similar with gaze. Or maybe something else gaze-based, like releasing your bluetooth clicker in the midst of swiping your head away when carrying a hologram. If a certain speed threshold is reached you can interpret it as a throw and throw the thing away.

Alternatively you can always utilize a voice command and a gesture-based button.

It is true that Microsoft doesn't recommend custom gestures.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Options

Thanks @mark_grossnickle and @stepan_stulov .

I had thought of the head turning idea but felt it was too awkward for something that would be done repetitively.

The thread on custom gestures does provide some insights on how it might be done.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

• Options

Hey, @BenLighthouseReeves

I have recently attended Tomorrow Camp event in Munich in their Microsoft office. One of the Microsoft spokesmen, when answering questions about gestures, admitted, that it was technically possible for them to implement a wider alphabet of gestures using existing tech. They, however, chose not to in order to have a simple entry to the world of gestures. One may speculate whether it means more gestures are coming later, when people get more familiar with gestures in general, or the simplicity will carry on. It is also possible that that was somewhat of a sweet excuse ala "we could, we didn't want to" but personally don't believe so.

Just a little addition on topic.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.