Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Offline Hololens Application Issues

I am working with Hololens development for use in strictly offline conditions, where such services like OneDrive are not accessible. Here are some of the issues I've encountered that are making it difficult to justify using this platform for our intended purpose.

1) Our project hopes to implement the usage of certain .pdf publications, where there are embedded videos into a training manual. Given that this RichMedia is proprietary Adobe technology, and there are no functioning apps for the Hololens from Adobe, we've had to find a different avenue.

2) As a form of a work-around, we decided to try converting our .pdfs into HTML5 files and embed the videos into those pages, which works. The next issue we then run into is storage. The files created by the converter we are using creates a .zip package, and none of the apps we've tried were able to successful unzip them. Alternatively, we could unpack the files on our computer, and upload every single file manually, but that method is not efficient enough, considering we have literally hundred of these documents we need to work with.

3) We have alternative programs that were outsourced to other companies so that we do not have access to the source code, but rather an installer. Using the UWP Desktop App Converter has not worked even slightly, and after dozens of pages from Microsoft, StackOverflow, and etc., nothing has been able to work. Is this user error, or is the Desktop App Converter not too effective?

Ultimately, we feel this product is very limited, and as much as I want to keep pursuing ways to use this, it is becoming harder and harder to get it to suit our needs. I, as an amateur developer, would appreciate any and all advice to help me accomplish our goals. Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

Answers

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Hey, @Stickicide21

Not sure what exactly is the question, but if HoloLens has the hardware limitation incompatible with your requirements you could always add another networked component, like a PC, into your installation for more beef, so to say. You just make sure all of your LAN components are connected to a router that itself has no connection to the Internet. Will that still qualify as offline for you?

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Options

Hey @stepan_stulov , thanks for the response!
    Reading my post back through, it does seem a little unclear about what my questions were. I will try to ask them in a better format here.
    Our plans are to use the hololens in strictly offline environments, and as a replacement to portable computers like laptops, so networking like that won't be an option for us.

We have very many documents in pdf format that already exist and function well on a computer with Acrobat installed. How can we find a way around Adobe's RichMedia software for pdf's? Is there Adobe software that works on the Hololens? Or is there a reader that can read embedded video that will work?

If not, we've pursued HTML5 options. Our converted files have several assets required to display the web page as if it were a pdf. After trying the free unzipping products on the store, we found no viable option as none of them were able to unpackage the files properly. Is there a better option for this, or should we pay for the premium version of these programs?

We also have other programs that would be nice to install onto the Hololens, but the UWP Desktop App Converter was not working. Is the DAC good software, and it was user error? Or are there some flaws with the DAC that might not make it work as well as we'd hoped?

Again, thank you for any and all help.