Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

HoloLens display disappears

I received my HoloLens yesterday, and at first it worked fine. I went through the startup tutorial and then placed a few holograms around the room. After about 30 minutes of operation, the visual display in the rectangle disappeared and was replaced by a diagonal line with a kink in it of points of light, which I assume were pixels. The device still responded to taps with an audible indication and a momentary brightening of the pixels in the diagonal lines. Turning the device off and back on again makes no difference. What is wrong and how can I recover full functionality?

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

I would first attempt a hard shutdown by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds or so. That should force a shutdown, rather than just putting it to sleep like a single press of the power button. Or you could ask Cortana to shut down with the command "Hey Cortana, shut down".

If that does not work, you can try the device recovery tool.
    Download Link

If that doesn't work, then I would open a support case with MS.
    Contact HoloLens Support

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓

I would first attempt a hard shutdown by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds or so. That should force a shutdown, rather than just putting it to sleep like a single press of the power button. Or you could ask Cortana to shut down with the command "Hey Cortana, shut down".

If that does not work, you can try the device recovery tool.
    Download Link

If that doesn't work, then I would open a support case with MS.
    Contact HoloLens Support

• Options

Thanks, Jesse. Your first suggestion did it. I still wonder what went wrong and whether this device is going to be glitch.y.

• Options

I have two hololens kits. The first one will run for hours on end without this problem. The second one will have the exact same issue the OP describes after about 35-40min of continued use. The type of use does not matter. Hanging out in the shell for this long will also trigger the issue.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

@wintermoot said:
    I have two hololens kits. The first one will run for hours on end without this problem. The second one will have the exact same issue the OP describes after about 35-40min of continued use. The type of use does not matter. Hanging out in the shell for this long will also trigger the issue.

Have you installed the new software update for the Hololens? They seemed to have fixed a few crashing issues.

• Options

@Jarrod1937 said:

@wintermoot said:

Have you installed the new software update for the Hololens? They seemed to have fixed a few crashing issues.

Yes, I just did last night and still was able to repro this issue.