Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Build issues with the HoloLens and netwoking in UnityEditor

This is something that has been a thorn in my side for a little while. We are looking into networking solutions for the HoloLens and have tried several options. So far, the unity built in networking Unet and Photon are the only ones to build without issues. Things like Ulink, Forge, Nakama and a basic AdHoc setup all have had build errors due to using things from System.Threading, System.Net, NativeWifi and other basic System or Common Networking namespaces. Even though many or all of them are basic System usings, they cause build errors in the unity editor, and often only there.
I am coming to the conclusion that this is an issue only for the HoloLens, as I can for example, make a new unity project, import the networking package, import the HoloLens package, setup the scene and run an example in the editor. But when I go to build the solution for the HoloLens, suddenly there is a namespace error in the editor for one of these functions. It is also sometimes (but not always) accompanied by a host of errors in the visual studios debugger for broken reference from default HoloLens files or other files.
I can’t use the unity editor here due to the build compile errors, but there is another strange behavior where if the unity app is restarted, the editor can be played again until another build is attempted. I have setup the simplest project where I have the error and will attach it to this post. My process and issues with the Nakama package are listed below

Nakama trail of build errors:
Install package Nakama – attempt pc standalone build – built as normal
Install HoloToolkit – attempt pc standalone (not really supposed to build as this anyway for HoloLens, just doing it for science) – build errors in unity and in vs, vs errors go away with some includes or just looking at the place where the error happens.
HoloToolkit – attempt windows store build with settings for the default HoloLens build configuration – 2 build error in the editor about a system enum, ConsoleColor being not found while clearly fine in VS and a “Compiler errors so can’t build” type of error. In VS, rebuilding now finds 60 odd errors, about “couldn’t be found”, “are you missing an assembly reference?”, “does not exist in the current context” things like that. These are usually unrelated to the functions the editor claims is causing build errors. I can add a single using HoloToolkit.Unity and every single one (which were over multiple different files) can go away. I deleted the added using statement and rebuilt VS but errors didn’t return. I attempted to rebuild the executable and got the same error building unity player, compiler errors as before but the vs errors don’t return. I assume this is some odd VS error that is probably unrelated to my problem.

Basically, I’m looking if this is a common thing with networking for HoloLens which seems doubtful as I haven’t found much on the internet, but it is a new platform still, any solutions people have, any other Networking Solutions that are known to work with the HoloLens or any general information people might have on dealing with HoloLens networking.
Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for the responses.

Answers

• Options

Eric, did you manage to find a workaround for System.net etc. on HL?