Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How to tell the difference between a development and enterprise hololens?

We have multiple HoloLens (HoloLenses?), and at least one of them is supposed to be enterprise, however, I don't know which one right now. Physically they all look the same, and I didn't find any setting that really expressed the difference. How to I figure out which is which?

Comments

• Options
    dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

The easiest way I know of to tell the difference is through the device portal. The commercial one should have a tab for kiosk mode the developer ones will not have this feature.

Here is a list of the things that the commercial HoloLens can do that the standard cannot.

• Windows Store for business
      -Your IT department can also set up an enterprise private store, containing only your company's apps for your specific HoloLens usage. Securely distribute your enterprise software to selected group of enterprise users

• Kiosk mode
      -With HoloLens kiosk mode, you can limit which apps to run to enable demo or showcase experiences.

• Data security
      -BitLocker data encryption and secure boot is enabled on HoloLens to provide the same level of security protection as any other Windows device.

• Mobile Device Management (MDM) for HoloLens
      -Your IT department can manage multiple HoloLens devices simultaneously using solutions like Microsoft InTune. You will be able to manage settings, select apps to install and set security configurations tailored to your organization's need.

• Windows Update for Business
      -Controlled operating system updates to devices and support for long term servicing branch.

• Identity
      -Azure Active Directory and next generation credentials with PIN unlock.

• Work access
      -Anyone in your organization can remotely connect to the corporate network through a virtual private network on a HoloLens. HoloLens can also access Wi-Fi networks that require credentials.

Found here

AR Developer

• Options

Where is the Kiosk Mode tab located? Is this on the settings window? On the bloom Menu?

• Thanks.
  • Options
    dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

It is on the device portal. Accessed through another computer. Here is a guide to setting it up.

Device Portal

AR Developer

• Options

I actually stumbled on this today.

You can tell that the HoloLens has been upgraded to the business edition in Settings > Network & Internet. The VPN option is only available in Windows Holographic for Business.

AR Developer

• Options
    edited October 2017

I'm finding some things online indicating that it looks like a development hololens at the beginning, until you install a license/new image on it. I.e. no Kiosk mode to start. Is that true? I.e. we haven't set it up, we just have it out of the box, and can't find Kiosk on any of our devices. (actually, I haven't checked the VPN thing, and I don't have it available right now to verify, but I'll look at that on Friday)

• Options

Check this link for information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens/hololens-upgrade-enterprise

You need to get the license and upgrade your system after you receive it.