Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Sharing on most up to date Unity version

Hey,
Can someone tell me what the current most up to date Unity version is which works with sharing holograms ?
When i import the current Holotoolkit with Unity version 2017.2 it crashes when i import the InputManager. And the 2017.1.2 doesn't work without a PC as server.

So is there any combination of Unity version + Holotoolkit version where the sharing works??
Preferably without needing a external PC as server.

Thanks

CEO UniVRsitas

Best Answer

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no lobby the HoloLens detect one another automatically. All you have to do is deploy to both of your HoloLens and run them. One HoloLens will become the host/server and the other will find it and become the client. When you hit play in the editor you should see the text changing, but in the editor it won't anchor. You can go to scene view while the editor is running and you should see a blue cube. You can kind of fake a 2nd HoloLens with your computer by adding a NetworkManagerHUD to your NetworkManager and entering the IP address of your HoloLens (HoloLens must host).

You have to wait until one of the HoloLens has anchored. You can tell this by reading the Text mesh as it changes.

If the HoloLens do not ever find one another and they both host/server then usually it is because the network firewall is blocking it. You can test and see if this is the case by using a mobile hotspot or an empty router(no internet on router).

AR Developer

Answers

• Look at the sharing with unet. No external PC needed.

AR Developer

• Does it work with any version below 2017.2 ? When using 2017.2 Unity just crashes all the time after using any HoloToolkit prefabs (e.g. Inputmanager)

CEO UniVRsitas

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Yeah I've been using 2017.1.0p5 and it works fine.

AR Developer

• @dbarrett said:
    Yeah I've been using 2017.1.0p5 and it works fine.

Ok great news.
    Can you tell me which MRTK version you used?

CEO UniVRsitas

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Here is a link to the version that I have been using for Unity 2017.1 released September 2017

@DineshPunni you should look for the SharingWithUnet under Assets->HoloToolKit-Examples ->SharingWithUnet for that version of the MRTK, it is moved under the newer versions

AR Developer

• I downloaded the mentioned unity and MRTK version, opened the SharingWithUnetExample scene in the examples folder and built it.
    Like always it didn't work.
    I don't know how/if the Example Scene is supposed to work with 2 Hololenses.
    There is no lobby to join sessions or any sharing object in the scene

Did you use the example scene or how did you get it to work?
    Thanks in advance dbarrett

CEO UniVRsitas

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no lobby the HoloLens detect one another automatically. All you have to do is deploy to both of your HoloLens and run them. One HoloLens will become the host/server and the other will find it and become the client. When you hit play in the editor you should see the text changing, but in the editor it won't anchor. You can go to scene view while the editor is running and you should see a blue cube. You can kind of fake a 2nd HoloLens with your computer by adding a NetworkManagerHUD to your NetworkManager and entering the IP address of your HoloLens (HoloLens must host).

You have to wait until one of the HoloLens has anchored. You can tell this by reading the Text mesh as it changes.

If the HoloLens do not ever find one another and they both host/server then usually it is because the network firewall is blocking it. You can test and see if this is the case by using a mobile hotspot or an empty router(no internet on router).

AR Developer

• @dbarrett said:

Thanks ALOT dbarrett. I got it working. Now the next challenge is to get it run smoothly and with custom prefabs.
    Do you know what i have to do to send custom synced events?
    I have a Menu which is based on a finite state machine. Would it be enough to add the menu a Network ID component and then use the [Command] keyword when switching states?

Thank you for all the help already!

CEO UniVRsitas

• I believe it would work. As long as you're pretty familiar with UNET it should be pretty straightforward to do something like that.

AR Developer

• You should deploy to both of your HoloLens and run them. Check this if you need any router help: 192.168.0.1