Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Fitting HoloLens - Having some trouble

Hello all --
I received my HoloLens unit yesterday. I'm blown away and quite amazed!

However, I am having some trouble with the fitting/getting the image right.

I've followed the instructions on the website/manual to place it on my head - but it always feels like the image is slipping down. Almost like I am wearing bifocals and I have to crook my head to see through the area where the image is. I keep adjusting it to get it right.

The other issue I've noticed is that holograms appear at an angle. For example if I place a 2D holographic window in front of me, the bottom left edge is cut off at an angle. I have to tilt my head a bit to get it to be "straight". Perhaps due to my fitting issue?

Lastly, there's a bluish reflection of holograms in the bottom of the lens. Occasionally I also get a rainbow effect in the left eyepiece. I've tried running the calibration a few times but it's still there.

I'm probably "doing it" wrong.

Any help that you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Hi Runamuck,
    Congrats on getting your device!!!! To respond to your first issue, my friend and I both had the same experience in regards to the image appearing lower on the lens, which now that you mention it is similar to looking through bifocal lenses. I was able to somewhat remedy the situation a bit by raising the device higher on my forehead - it intuitively felt "too" high - but ended up being just right. I adjusted the head band tight enough so that I could shake my head around and it wouldn't budge. The device was hovering above my nose instead of resting on it, which decreased the experience of looking through bifocals. I think that the angle of the lens may need to be adjusted on the devices in order to raise the image. Test out if the tightening and straightening of the device on your head also straightens out the angled holograms. The image does cut off if you are not looking at it straight on.

Can you explain the bluish reflection of the holograms in more detail? Does it happen on one spot of the lens more often? I sometimes have dark shard shapes that appear only when looking at the hologram of a browser window while surfing the web - which I was told happens sometimes when it is rendering. I haven't experienced the rainbow effect yet.

I hope this helps in some way.

-AZSilver

• Options

@AZSilver said:
    Can you explain the bluish reflection of the holograms in more detail? Does it happen on one spot of the lens more often? I sometimes have dark shard shapes that appear only when looking at the hologram of a browser window while surfing the web - which I was told happens sometimes when it is rendering. I haven't experienced the rainbow effect yet.

I hope this helps in some way.

-AZSilver

Hi - I'm seeing almost what looks like a blue reflection of the hologram being presented in the lower part of my view. So if there's a white floating orb, I'll see a bluish reflection under it of the same orb.

It may be due to having the brightness too high?

• Options

I'm told by others that the blue hue could actually be caused by the overhead lighting in my space reflecting within the lenses?

• Options

I just received my device yesterday too and I've been experiencing the same things. I still can't quite the fit right; it's always sliding down and resting on my nose, which is very uncomfortable. I've tried arranging the inner and outer rings in different ways but it never stays where I put it. Honestly thinking about getting some duct tape to keep the outer ring from sliding back. :)

As for the blue reflection, I was seeing the exact same thing and was told that it has to do with overhead lights. It does seem to go away when I get the lighting in the room just right.

• Options

@GTruss said:
    I just received my device yesterday too and I've been experiencing the same things. I still can't quite the fit right; it's always sliding down and resting on my nose, which is very uncomfortable. I've tried arranging the inner and outer rings in different ways but it never stays where I put it. Honestly thinking about getting some duct tape to keep the outer ring from sliding back. :)

As for the blue reflection, I was seeing the exact same thing and was told that it has to do with overhead lights. It does seem to go away when I get the lighting in the room just right.

After a few days of fiddling, I've managed to sort out how to get it to fit properly. At first I think I was placing it too low on the bridge of my nose - this caused the view field to constantly look like I was having to tilt my head up to see things. What I ended up doing was fitting it so the nose-pads are actually not touching my nose and the lenses themselves are up a bit higher. This way the view is much better. I did this by placing the inner headband more around the crown of my head so the front of the headband is actually above my hair line (not just below it as normally suggested).

I was nervous about doing this at first because it causes the outer ring near the back to flex out a little to wrap around my head, but I was told it's designed to do this (for those bigger heads out there).

As far as the blue hue/rainbow - this was completely due to the lighting in my room. I noticed if I am in a room with even lighting or natural lighting this doesn't happen. Seems to only occur when there is uneven lighting in a room.

• Options
    mtycholazmtycholaz ✭✭
    edited June 2016

@runamuck said:
    As far as the blue hue/rainbow - this was completely due to the lighting in my room. I noticed if I am in a room with even lighting or natural lighting this doesn't happen. Seems to only occur when there is uneven lighting in a room.

Yah it's totally based on the lighting. I have the same thing happen too. Nothing is wrong with your HoloLens, it's just the damn reflections. I wondered the same thing, but the same effect happens when the device is powered off, and it happens outside the rendering frame, so it's not a hardware problem.

Maybe Microsoft could throw on an anti-glare coating, much like what you get with glasses.