Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Point Cloud script runs in Unity but not on the HoloLens

We have an object in Unity with a script attached to it that should change the mesh of the object from a plain geometric shape to a point cloud based on an imported text file. When we run it in Unity, the mesh is replaced with the point cloud - perfect. However, when we build the program and export it to the HoloLens for testing, only the original geometric shape is shown. We're not sure if the script is not running or if our camera settings are wrong...or if it's something else completely. Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer

• Options
    pstuevenpstueven ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @isaac_j12 ,
    When I deploy using the release mode, I still get the Logs. I am deploying over WLAN having the enterprise version. Don't know whether there is a difference.

What are you using to read the text file? HoloLens does not support all libraries there are in C#(for example StreamReader is not supported for some reason whereas System.IO.StringReader works fine). This could be a reason for it not working in release mode.

Answers

• Options

Hey @isaac_j12 ,
    to find out whether the script is running, you could simply do a Debug.Log("I am running!") inside it and check whether it is output in the console.

• Options

Thanks for the quick response @pstueven ! So we have tried that, and the script does run while in debug mode. The issue is when we built the project to the HoloLens and try to run it from there. The debug log isn't able to help us because we build it in release mode. I don't see why the script wouldn't run in that case, but I don't know for sure. Maybe we're just missing a step or a setting?

• Options
    pstuevenpstueven ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @isaac_j12 ,
    When I deploy using the release mode, I still get the Logs. I am deploying over WLAN having the enterprise version. Don't know whether there is a difference.

What are you using to read the text file? HoloLens does not support all libraries there are in C#(for example StreamReader is not supported for some reason whereas System.IO.StringReader works fine). This could be a reason for it not working in release mode.

• Options

@pstueven that's it! We switched from StreamReader to StringReader and it works perfectly now! Thank you so much, this is huge for us! You're the best!

• Options