Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

New features "Move Here" or "face me" not mandatory

I believe these features can be controlled in the APP control setting and Users are not allowed to use it. I hope MS allows these features are controlled by APP developers. There are needs "NOT" to allow one or many of these features.
APP developers will inform the customers in advance while downloading and using the APP.

Answers

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity, what would be scenarios to not allow them to use these methods?
  • Options

:) . Please wait for the APP. Sorry for now.

• Options

GrandMa will be using the Recipe APP in kitchen. I do not want any one to move it to any where else or any other room.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

I see, I am not sure if Microsoft will or even should do this. From a UI paradigm point of view, the user should always have 100% control of the interface outside an app, which includes individual app locations. The app itself is your domain and you should have as much control as you want there, but outside is the users.

• Options

That is in Apple's world. Not in MS. Almost every setting should be configurable and that separates MS from other eco-system. Yes, there are boundaries, but this is not one of them. If this was so important in the design paradigm, MS would have add it in the initial release.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, I'm not going to argue. However, it is generally considered poor UX design to not have consistency in your interface interactions.
  • Options

I am not arguing. There are very unique requirements. I can say one scenario. Hospital beds, there are too many monitors for a patient / bed. Having a Virtual display(screen) for that patient. It should never move. Another clone, Virtual screen 2 can be for Nurses/doctors any where in the world. But the one next to Patient, it should never be moved. I think this clarifies the need for that.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

Yes, those would make sense. I suppose it'll be interesting to see what their stance is on this. However, unless they figure out how to communicate such differences explicitly to the customer, the inconsistency would reflect badly on them. Imagine if you, as the user, somehow missed that communication, you can say 'face me' to every app and it works fine, you then try it on another app and it doesn't. You may make the connection that it's the app, or you may feel it's the Hololens not working properly.
    It could be implemented in such a way that if you attempt to do it, the Hololens says 'this feature has been disabled by this application,' which would alert the user at the time of usage. A message at download/install time is likely to be ignored or forgotten.

• Options
    jbuschjbusch
    edited June 2016

What if there was a UI element that would allow "locking" of holograms? Then you couldn't accidentally move it/resize it, you would have to unlock it first, then move/resize and lock again. Kind of like child-safety locks on appliances, there's the extra step which helps to prevent accidental usage.

Then if you try to say "face me" or "move here" the app could display a little lock symbol to let you know that it can't be moved because it's currently locked.

This seems to solve your issue, and allows the user to choose what apps are locked/movable (instead of the developer making the choice for them).

• Options

Too many interface item for the same task. Ugly. Just my opinion. Clutter. It would be like modern control settings and control panel. I never figured it out which is what?

• Options

Eventually (within 2 or 3 years) we may see the evolution of a form of authentication and privileges for a shared 3D paradigm.

In the case of a family, various family members may have different user accounts and permissions. One member may place a hologram which all can view, although anyone can choose to hide an item, or to choose that only agreed-to holograms be visible within their account. Similarly, some holograms may be marked to allow some other users to alter and/or move them, and some may be fixed, and some may be viewable only to one account.

It will take some time but it's very likely that these needs will be recognized and addressed. Also, it may have to be implemented in a way which isn't too complex for the average user.

The OS for mixed reality is still very, very young.

• Options

Hologram can have the same attribute+holding spot like private folder or public folder. But I am not discussing with that perspective. Sorry, I think I may be not clear on it.

Even if it is my hologram and I am in my account in my Hololens device, the APP should be able to Stay in one spot and the attributes(features) like "Move Here" or "Face Here" should be managed by the program.