Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens device hygiene and cleaning

Has anyone come up with any bright ideas for quick hygiene on their hololens as it goes person to person? I work in a hospital and I need a way to medically disinfect the device between users. The disinfection wipes we have are in the pictures attached, but I'm afraid they will destroy the device. Any advice? Maybe I could cover the contact points in disposable tearaway strips or wrap them up?

Answers

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@Scottieo
    My warning is that the plastic on many devices is made from
    will melt on simple 100% alcohol. That's what happens, there will be streaky lines. Many contains solvents of some sort. In UK there is Fairy Washing up liquid. It seemed harmless enough but the shiny surface of my plastic model (value $20) disappeared. I cleaned the outside of Google Cardboard, plastic visor and its melted with baby wipes!.
    Here is the list of ingredients
    http://oureverydaylife.com/ingredients-baby-wipes-12625.html

• Options

Hey scottieo,

Did you find a solution for this? I'm in the same position (hospital, using it at OR, clean/desinfect etc).

Regards,

Bram

• Options

I am in a similar situation as I am prepping for a game developer conference and hygiene is a huge concern

• Options

Instructions for cleaning your device can be found on the What's in the box page. Unfortunately, most 'sanitizing' options have the potential to damage the materials used in the device.

• Options

I was going to share the information we were given for the hackathons, but it's pretty much the same info @timg linked to on the "What's in the box" page. I wouldn't venture too far outside of this. Be especially careful of the visor area and most importantly over the 4 tracking cameras.

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Options

Seems like a good place to have a new product invented. Especially if these devices will be used in sterile environments.

• Options

Does anyone know if there are any disposable covers or like protectors for the inner head band ?

• Options

Has anybody found any solutions to cleaning the body and the headbands? I am really interested on getting your feedback for this technology in the OR.

• Options

@Hannah said:
    Does anyone know if there are any disposable covers or like protectors for the inner head band ?

What about the scrub hats surgical - Scrubwave Medical Hats

These are used in surgical operating theatre the user could wear one and disposed of or cleaned by Sterile Services of hospital

• Options

@Jimbohalo10 that's a good idea ! I wouldn't have thought of that ! Thanks

• Options

@Jimbohalo10 said:

@Hannah said:

What about the scrub hats surgical - Scrubwave Medical Hats

These are used in surgical operating theatre the user could wear one and disposed of or cleaned by Sterile Services of hospital

This solves (kind of) the headband problem but what about the disinfection? The first time that you will bring the headset in the OR, it should be completely cleaned. Does anybody have any similar experience or tackled this issue?

• Options

I asked a HoloLens demo-er for Microsoft and she said that she just uses Purell Wipes to disinfect (and also because they are corporate mandated apparently). Although in your case in the hospital I'm not sure how effective the Wipes will be at disinfecting and the streaks, like @Jimbohalo10 mentioned, will probably be present. I've noticed marks appearing on the headband from simply rubbing against the plastic material so the alcohol might be quite potent at wearing down the material.

• Options

@Scottieo
    It's been some time since the last post in this topic. Did you manage to find a solution for operation theater disinfection since then?