Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens Enterprise License Activation through InTune does not work

Hello

I'm trying to activate the Enterprise License of our Commercial Edition Hololens through InTune (as we will manage a couple of Hololenses later I thought this would be the best course of action).
We do not have an InTune Subscribtion yet so I created a new InTune Account/Subscription (currently in trial phase) which also created Basic Azure, O365 and AAD Basic services it seems. Please note I am completely new to the MS ecosystem.
I created a new user (User Role only, not admin), Created a group for him, assigned an InTune license to him and set InTune as the MDM authority in the InTune settings.

I have followed the guide here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/hololens/hololens-upgrade-enterprise and created an Upgrade Policy using our CommercialLicense.xml file.
First it didn't work at all (Device showed up as "Compatible: No") so I reset the entire device, logged in using the InTune account I created and connected to MDM through the "Work access" feature. I also enabled the Dev options. Then it seemed to work as the device showed up.

(I'm sorry the screenshots are in german, InTune has no language setting. If you need me to translate more please tell me.) Here are all the images in better resolution: https://imgur.com/a/5wHkN

The User & Device show up in InTune and I could create an AAD Dynamic group where the device shows up:

Or in InTune:

On the left it says:

• Green Checkmark: Warnings - No Problems
  • Yellow Exclamationmark: Conflict of a policy with a group policy since the last successfull application
  • Green Checkmark: Software status - no problems

On the right it says from top to bottom:

• User:
  • Management Status: Active
  • Management Channel: Managed by MS Intune
  • AAD-Device-ID:
  • Threat level:
  • Registered with AAD: Yes
  • Compatible: Yes
  • EAS active: No
  • Free Space:
  • Total Space:
  • Last Update:
  • Associated groups:

It also appears like the policy was pushed to the device but it never applied it. It now shows as violating the group policy:

In the list it says (the row):
Setting for Editionupgrade (Win 10 Holographic or higher) - Windows Holopgraphic Enterprise - Possibly not conforming

At the bottom it says (Where the exclamation mark is):
Status: Possibly not conforming - This device might not follow the setting of the policy: ...

There are no other indications. Also none on the device. I also downloaded the MDMDiagReport.xml (if this helps I can provide it) but after transforming it to html it seems empty.

I tried clicking the "Sync" button on the MDM Settings and reboot and restarting the device, nothing worked.

Something else that's strange is that the "Groups - Overview" in InTune shows "Conformity: 0 Problems" when the device obviously does not conform to the policy...

InTune phone support told me they don't support the Hololens and I have to use support.microsoft.com/oas but spending an additional 450$ for support is a lot to ask...

I hope someone here can help me.

Best Answer

• Options
    ChrigiChrigi
    Answer ✓

Yes I could resolve this issue today.
    It seems like my license was somehow broken/wrong.

I could contact support through https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us -> Support -> Assisted Developer Support

They need to know the Serial Number of your device which you can find on our box or on the body of the device to generate a new license file. He even generated a provisioning package for me which worked. He wrote back very, very fast and even read this forum post to get a grasp of the issue.

Answers

• Options

I've successfully used Intune to apply the Enterprise upgrade following the steps in the technet link you posted and then enrolling the HoloLens using the Settings/Accounts/Work access - Enroll in to device management option. I did have to wait a little bit for the policy to be applied/maybe a few minutes. Besides what Intune is reporting, have you checked in the HoloLens web portal to see if the enterprise features are enabled? You should have the option to put the HoloLens in kiosk mode if you have the enterprise features enabled.

I did find the whole process to be not very straight forward. Especially the fact that you have to use Internet Explorer to do the Intune stuff since it isn't supported on Edge or Chrome. And now you have to do the Active Directory management in the Azure portal.

• Options
    ChrigiChrigi
    edited March 2017

@TimT Thanks for your response. Did you have to configure anything of note in InTune? Or did it work with the default settings of a new InTune Account?
    Yes, I did check the Web Portal, sadly it's not enabled.

I now also tried the Provisioning Package route. I could create one and after resetting (again) the device I could even apply it with a "Provisioning successful" message but again, nothing happened and even after restarts it did not unlock the Enterprise features.

I am now thinking that maybe our license or device must have a serious issue...

(Edit: I finally found the Support website where I could create a free ticket, I hope they can help me, I'll post the solution if they manage to find the issue)

• Options

I don't remember having to do anything special. I don't think it should make a difference but I do have a paid InTune account. I never tried doing this while using the trial.

• Options

Any chance you have solved this yet? I am having the exact same problem and filed a ticket but haven't heard anything back yet.

"I now also tried the Provisioning Package route. I could create one and after resetting (again) the device I could even apply it with a "Provisioning successful" message but again, nothing happened and even after restarts it did not unlock the Enterprise features.

I am now thinking that maybe our license or device must have a serious issue...

(Edit: I finally found the Support website where I could create a free ticket, I hope they can help me, I'll post the solution if they manage to find the issue)"

Super frustrating!!! Paid 2k for nothing so far - have been trying to use kiosk mode on a time sensitive project.

• Options
    ChrigiChrigi
    Answer ✓

Yes I could resolve this issue today.
    It seems like my license was somehow broken/wrong.

I could contact support through https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us -> Support -> Assisted Developer Support

They need to know the Serial Number of your device which you can find on our box or on the body of the device to generate a new license file. He even generated a provisioning package for me which worked. He wrote back very, very fast and even read this forum post to get a grasp of the issue.