Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Cursor is not changing appearance when it is ON and OFF the Hologram

Hi,
I am currently trying to display a vehicle model using Hololens. I am using Holograms 211 as the base project. I have imported the model into Unity in FBX format. Added the model in the place of GEO_G and Deformation System. I have added mesh colliders for the parts of the model. I have also added 'Interactible' script. Although, when I run the project on Hololens Emulator, the cursor is not changing its appearance when it is on and off the Hologram. Its showing the Point Light in both the cases. Please help

Best Answers

• Options
    Holo_galHolo_gal
    Answer ✓

Solved the issue. The 3D model in OBJ format was placed at a distance of z=150. The max gaze distance being 5, the ray was not hitting the Hologram. So, changed the exported the model into FBX format and used in Unity and placed the model at a distance of z=2. Now it works perfectly. Thank you for your inputs @mark_grossnickle

Answers

• Options

I don't remember the ins and outs of 211 but doesn't the cursor just change when it recognizes a hand rather than when it is over an interactible?

Taqtile

• Options

@mark_grossnickle : The cursor appears as a blue donut when it is on the Hologram and as a Point Light when it is off the Hologram. In my case, it shows Point light everywhere. Also, the cursor is not hugging the surface of the Hologram.

• Options

If the cursor is not hugging the surface of the hologram then something is wrong with your collider setup.

The collider should be added to the same gameObject as the mesh renderer. You may also want to make sure its Layer is Default or similar (just not ignore raycast).

Taqtile

• Options

@mark_grossnickle : I have added the collider to the same Gameobject containing mesh renderer. The layer chosen is default. I am not sure where I am going wrong. The blue donut on the Hologram just does not appear.

• Options

I still think the donut only appears when it recognizes a hand. I could be wrong. But that is how HoloToolkit works.

I was more concerned by you saying the cursor is not hugging the collider. Is that still the case?

Taqtile

• Options
    Holo_galHolo_gal
    Answer ✓

Solved the issue. The 3D model in OBJ format was placed at a distance of z=150. The max gaze distance being 5, the ray was not hitting the Hologram. So, changed the exported the model into FBX format and used in Unity and placed the model at a distance of z=2. Now it works perfectly. Thank you for your inputs @mark_grossnickle