Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

hololens and unity network

my project is based on unity network. however, i find i can not even ping my hololens from my PC. anyone has any idea on this?

Answers

• Options

Hi mcmc,

The device (currently) ignores ping requests.

Are you able to connect over the network to the Device Management portal?

• Options
    Hi @timg ,

And the real device?has the same connectivity as a I.e a windows tablet? Universal app concept is this, same capabilities for different devices,isn't it?
  • Options

@DiegoV as @timg mentioned you can connect to the device using the IP address of the device. Alternately, you can add capabilities like "InternetClientServer" to your UWP or Unity apps to be able to communicate with you app.

• Options

Hi @neerajwadhwa ,
    I have done a WCF (TCP based and willing to implement a UDP one) service, that connect with any Universal App. Due to some issues that I do not know with Hololens Emulator in one computer I receive an exception "No IPEndpoints were found for host 192.168.0.xx" . The WCF bring me the possibility to "talk" with a 4.5 framework software. Do you think that this will be possible? Thanks!

• Options

I cannot ping hololens, but I can still connect to device portal using its ip address. And it works well when the App on Hololens sends message to my pc. But when the pc sends a message to Hololens through its ip address, it will never reach there.

• Options

I am in the same boat as @mcmc - Sending messages from hololens to unity is working, but sending from unity to hololens is proving difficult.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Hi,

@8Dev & @mcmc - Have you found solution for your problems with connectivity 'from PC to Hololens [Emulator]'? I'm having the same issue and I'm looking for a solution...

• Options

Hi All, I am having the same issue that both HoloLens and pc are in the same network and able to access app manager portal but unable to ping or send any message from PC to HoloLens.. any help is appreciated. thanks Sham

• Options

Have you enabled the capability Client/Server on the Hololens Unity App and started a Unity Networking Server?

creative mind, free thinker, dreamer, maker, mostly working on games and doodling around with gadgets, Sphered Cazual/Elite/Master of the Universe/Dad/Husband @mariovermeulen

• Options

A little late to this, but for anyone still looking, I'm running a client on my PC and I use my HoloLens as a Host. They're on the same network so:

• Under Project Settings ->Player -> Capabilities, enable PrivateNetworkClientServer.
    • Start the instance of your app on the HoloLens as the HOST
    • On your second device, use the IP address of the HoloLens and connect as a client.

This should work as expected. Thanks to @SpheredCazual for the tip.