Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

FPS Degradation

We have 2 Hololens with our application installed on both (both master builds from the MS Store). One had the expected FPS of 60 the other was sitting at 30 FPS. On the slow Hololens I reinstalled the application and it was back to 60 FPS. Any ideas on what would cause the FPS to degrade or be different like this? The only thing a bit out of the ordinary is our application does download files and stored them in its appdata, but I wouldn't have thought that would cause a slow-down.

Answers

• Options

Have you tried the Profiler? Either within Unity or Visual studio or preferably both?

Taqtile

• Options

@mark_grossnickle Can you attach a profiler to a Master build installed from the MS Store? I thought you can only attach a profiler to a Debug or Release build deployed off you local build machine?

• Options

Yeah, it would have to be off of your local build. Have you confirmed the issue does not happen on a local build? Or a release build?

Taqtile

• Options

No that's the weird thing it seems to be a degradation over time issue. But I am not sure what causes it but our app (which was installed from MS Store) was running at 30 FPS. I uninstalled it and installed it again from the store (exactly the same version) and it went back up to 60 FPS.

The only thing our application does which is a bit different to other apps is we download a lot of large files to the AppData (e.g. 10 x 20mb would be common) and I wonder whether this might slow it down. However, we only ever load one file into memory at any one time.

• Options

I should have clarified the FPS degradation is over weeks of having the app installed on the HoloLens. Not degradation while the app is running.

• Options

Ah, I see. You say re-installing fixes... but does just closing the app also fix it? (ensuring its is closed and not backgrounded by closing the window or going to the portal and closing).

I'd assume so. Seems like something would be getting added... additional processes started or more objects added to the scene that would cause that and a hard reset of the app would fix. But if not, then I'm at a loss because that is the only thing that would make sense.

Taqtile

• Options

No closing and opening the app doesn't fix the issue, and yes I have been to the portal to ensure it isn't running in the background. But yes it is really weird. The next time our app gest into this state I will try and do some more troubleshooting.

• Options

Okay I have managed to track this down. We download and cache Asset Bundles (some quite large) the more we download the slower the FPS. There must be some Unity overhead when you have Asset Bundles downloaded.