Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Skybox rendering - for just a few windows.

I am trying to create an experience that would procedurally generate walls in a room to set mood and decor(similar to fragments prop placement), in many cases these walls would not touch. So using the standard skybox would not work.

Unreal used to, and may still, have the ability to create a skybox manually and place a camera inside that skybox. Then you select a face of an object and choose the flag skybox. Your skybox would be projected onto that specific face.

Is there a way to do something like this in Unity?

Any ideas here would be great. Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

You might be able to create a second camera with a lower "Depth" property value than your main camera (so that it doesn't show in the main view).

Your main camera in a HoloLens app won't have the skybox turned on but instead will have "Clear Flags" set to solid color of black as per HoloLens docs and tutorials.

Your second camera could have its clear flags set to skybox.

You would have a series of planes or flat cubes in your scene as your fake walls (or maybe windows through space or something would make a more appropriate name)

Then you could use a technique like this one or alternatively use RenderTexture to basically project the secondary camera view onto the fake walls.

Is that the kind of thing you were looking to do?
    I haven't had a chance to experience fragments yet since my buy link hasn't arrived yet.

I did a quick and dirty test with RenderTexture and it looks like it could work.

HTH

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

Answers

• Options
    HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

You might be able to create a second camera with a lower "Depth" property value than your main camera (so that it doesn't show in the main view).

Your main camera in a HoloLens app won't have the skybox turned on but instead will have "Clear Flags" set to solid color of black as per HoloLens docs and tutorials.

Your second camera could have its clear flags set to skybox.

You would have a series of planes or flat cubes in your scene as your fake walls (or maybe windows through space or something would make a more appropriate name)

Then you could use a technique like this one or alternatively use RenderTexture to basically project the secondary camera view onto the fake walls.

Is that the kind of thing you were looking to do?
    I haven't had a chance to experience fragments yet since my buy link hasn't arrived yet.

I did a quick and dirty test with RenderTexture and it looks like it could work.

HTH

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

That sounds like exactly what I need, let me see if I can get her working.. Thanks

• Options

I think that got it for me.. It seems to be working more or less. Thanks much @HoloSheep

• Options

Here is a quick video of the result. Forgive the placemarker graphics.. but you get the idea.
    https://youtu.be/6GUwVKD2lqc

• Options

@subere23 I would love some more info on how you accomplished your results.
    Neither the DepthMask nor the RenderTexture technique are giving me what I'm looking for.

Thanks!