Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens for Gardening

I keep finding uses for Hololens, this one was quite unexpected. I was going to call a gardener to take care of things but maybe not anymore :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY7ujrgTwwQ

Comments

• Options

LOL! very cool.

So he must have either really long arms or a long reach hedge trimmer to deal with that 1 meter minimum hologram distance recommendation. :smiley:

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

Yeah the sphere fades away when i get too close so it was a slower process than it would have been otherwise. But totally doable and pretty easy too. I want to do my whole garden now, maybe more exotic shapes

• Options

What did you set your Main Camera - Clipping Planes - Near value to?
    I have seen the recommendation of 0.8 but I believe in the last Holo Academy at Build I tried 0.5 and was impressed with how close to the floor I could get to peer down into the underworld of the subterranean portion of our shared experience. Not sure how low it will go and still work on the device. That might be a value worth experimenting with for this application.

It also looks like reasonable daylight.
    Good to see that you didn't have to do your yard work at night :wink:

Was it just a typical overcast day outside when you did this?

I know the party line is that it is intended for indoor use, but it is really good to see this example of what happens when you use it outdoors.

Next up, I think we would all like to see you tackle a more advanced topiary

• Options

Pretty cool, definitely tapping into your creativity for this. I will admit I am not the most creative person, so always cool to see what others think of.

• Options

@HoloSheep I use 0.01 with no issue.

• Options

@jboulanger good to know, thanks.

I thought I had read somewhere that there was a potential conflict between the hand tracking stuff for gestures if we rendered in that zone.

I am glad to see that the guidelines are truly just guidelines and not like some of the other teams I have had experience with in the past where the guidance became unnecessarily enforced limitations to force conformity.

• Options

@HoloSheep, I believe the gesture issue applies only to the depth cameras which is why the have a closeness threshold.
    However, definitely good to know. I know the holograms won't be too comfortable at that distance, but it can be useful for short interactions.

• Options

@Jarrod1937 agreed,
    as I recall the zone for gesture (the first meter where your arms is at :) )

potentially overlaps with the pre zone (0 - 1.25m)
    of the comfy rendering zone that wraps the 2m sweet spot (1.25 - 5m)

so I thought I saw guidance to set the clipping plane for rendering outside the "where your arms is at" zone so that there were not issues between sensor alignment or something along those lines.

But, heck if it mostly works, not so concerned about the details when it doesn't until I hit that wall. I can definitely see close range rendering as useful even if in limited use.

It should get interesting in September when the Meta 2 dev kits start to ship and we can compare the two experiences. The story they are telling makes it sound like they are really focused on their device with users interacting with holograms with their hands.

• Options

To boldly go against the FAQ - Hololens isn't designed for use outdoors! I wonder what the room mesh looked like :)

• Options

@wintermoot said:
    To boldly go against the FAQ - Hololens isn't designed for use outdoors! I wonder what the room mesh looked like :)

Probably like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1k_18JUDk

• Options

@Ash said:

@wintermoot said:

Probably like this:

So when is the holo putting green assisted guidance coming out ? :)

• Options

Whoooo really that's a great idea to go ahead..