Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How do I debug a store app that has crashed? (no access to device)

PinkPink
edited May 2016 in Questions And Answers

According to the Store, my application has crashed on devices that I don't have access to. There are no obvious crash logs or stack traces that I can see.

Unity has a section on this, however it suggests I set registry keys on devices I don't have access to.

Where do I get more info to fix these kinds of problems? Am I supposed to enable something to aid in this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

I haven't tried this on the device but in the past I've had luck using things such as Crashlytics/Fabric for recording crashes on mobile devices that I did not have access to. I am not sure if Crashlytics/Fabric supports unity yet (was beta last I used it) but if not you could always use something like Unity analytics and catch exceptions and send the stack trace as data for the event.

Taqtile

• Options

Perhaps my question has too many parts. I'll move this to the discussion area and update here if there is any progress.

In some sense, I thought the ability to grab a remote crash dump, stacktrace or even a simple ascii error message was trivial. No offense to the Crashlytics/Fabric products, but I assumed this was "batteries included" given the day and age.

This of course, is easy on your local machine with your own device. It's the disconnected and remote part of this debugging process that I could use some help/pointers/tutorials on.

I'm not even sure whose technologies I'm even supposed to be looking at, Microsoft, Unity or otherwise to begin to help with this. (What do I need to google?)

• Options

Attaching the remote debugger to process that crashes almost immediately (use duplicate)

Thread.Sleep(10000);

to attach the remote debugger to process that crashes almost immediately?

• Options
    PinkPink
    edited May 2016

@shakirajane : I wasn't really clear enough. In my case, I'm trying to debug an app that someone downloaded from the store - so I'd never have a chance to attach the debugger - it's already dead. I'm really looking to get ahold of some data post-mortem so I can reproduce or investigate the conditions of the crash. I'll update the original question to clarify thanks!

• Options

Ah right, wasn't obvious at first but there is something in the Analytics section, Health, Failure Log.

unityplayer!HoloLensAllocateEyeTexture in my case. Looks like a bug to report to Unity thanks.

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Hi, @Pink Try the app called Dev Centre

The Microsoft Dev Center app allows you to quickly view details about the health and performance of your Windows Store apps on any Windows 10 device.
    Note: You must have an active Windows developer account in order to view this data.
    -- See app and in-app product acquisitions data – Track the performance of your apps and IAPs, and learn about your customers with details about acquisitions over time by market, customer demographics, and OS version.

-- Investigate crashes --

Use crash data to help identify and correct issues in your apps. View crashes over time by type, device, app version, and the exception type to help pinpoint issues in your code.

• Options

Looks like even though Fabric has a unity plugin that it may only run on iOS/Android. https://get.fabric.io/games?locale=en-us So custom events may be the way to go. :/

Taqtile