Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Why won't the Hololens charge while in use?

First day with the device. My boss bought 2. They arrived 2 wks ago and he handed me one today. There was only 43% charge on it while I got used to it. In about 1 1/2 hours time it was down to about 10%..I'm guessing really, I don't remember the exact time. Anyway, I plugged it in expecting it to start charging while I still used it. This didn't happen. The battery was still going down. I just turned it off and kept it plugged up until I came back from lunch. It got to only about 20-30% charge when I came back. Why does it take so long to charge and why doesn't it charge when plugged in? I did have it plugged into my computer and not the wall charger. Does that make a difference?

Best Answers

• Options
    jbuschjbusch
    Answer ✓

The wall charger will be significantly faster. It's rated at 2.5 amps output and typical computer USB 2.0 ports will output 0.5 amps (0.9 amps for USB 3.0). So yes, do use the provided wall charger.

Answers

• Options
    jbuschjbusch
    Answer ✓

The wall charger will be significantly faster. It's rated at 2.5 amps output and typical computer USB 2.0 ports will output 0.5 amps (0.9 amps for USB 3.0). So yes, do use the provided wall charger.

• Options

Thanks for answering JBusch. Does this mean that even though it didn't seem like the Hololens wasn't charging, it actually was; it was just charging so slow because I was plugged into the computer instead of the wall?

• Options

@Fireholo, What applications are you using the device for?

• Options

@druidmechanics said:

I'm in charge of development of an app for the hololens at my job. Haven't made one before. I'm in the process of learning Unity, C# and 3d all at once.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

@Fireholo said:

@druidmechanics said:

I'm in charge of development of an app for the hololens at my job. Haven't made one before. I'm in the process of learning Unity, C# and 3d all at once.

That'll be a bit rough, but you can do it. What kind of application are you developing?

• Options

@Jarrod1937 said:

@Fireholo said:

@druidmechanics said:

That'll be a bit rough, but you can do it. What kind of application are you developing?

I'm an AutoCAD designer. I'm in school for media arts and animation, so I'm learning Maya. I'm in telecommunications field. I need to design something that will help out in that field.

• Options

@Fireholo, can you tell us what sort of things you're rendering? BTW, I believe that you can do it if you just stick with it for the duration and don't get put off by the learning curve. Don't let a few months of climbing turn you off and you will eventually learn enough that you'll realize that you're pretty much over the hump.

• Options

Hi, I'll have to use the HL with this powerbank
    https://www.amazon.it/Romoss-Portatili-Cellulare-Powerbank-Universal/dp/B01NBP02L8

Are they compatible as far as you know?
    Thanks