Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How do you use Maya with the Hololens?

I think I watched all the videos for the Hololens, before it came out. The one the interested me most was when they were making the part for the motorcycle and the building that you were able to look at from a lifesize perspective. What apps, if any are available for this? Can you use Maya for the Hololens yet? Its seems the only build app is Holostudio.

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓

@Fireholo you can absolutely create FBX models in Maya and use them in Unity, create an app and deploy to the HoloLens. Some other tools at your disposal for creating 3D objects might be 3Ds Max, Simplygon, Blender etc. Hope this helps.

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 Answer ✓

3DS Max, Maya, Blender...etc are just software for modeling of vertices, doing UV mapping...etc. All of this information is held in their own scene format in the program for later editing. However, after you're done, every application has an export option for exporting the work done into a more portable format that other applications can use, which can range from obj, fbx, to other formats. Unity supports the .FBX model format. Thus, all you need to do is export directly to the FBX format. I believe FBX is commonly implemented in most modeling programs, but if whatever application you're using doesn't support it, there are plenty of converters out there too.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓

@Fireholo you can absolutely create FBX models in Maya and use them in Unity, create an app and deploy to the HoloLens. Some other tools at your disposal for creating 3D objects might be 3Ds Max, Simplygon, Blender etc. Hope this helps.

• Options

Awesome, so since I'm in school now learning Maya, I must also learn Unity at my job. Is there a ready made app like on the demos? Can I upload Maya objects to Holostudio?

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 Answer ✓

3DS Max, Maya, Blender...etc are just software for modeling of vertices, doing UV mapping...etc. All of this information is held in their own scene format in the program for later editing. However, after you're done, every application has an export option for exporting the work done into a more portable format that other applications can use, which can range from obj, fbx, to other formats. Unity supports the .FBX model format. Thus, all you need to do is export directly to the FBX format. I believe FBX is commonly implemented in most modeling programs, but if whatever application you're using doesn't support it, there are plenty of converters out there too.

• Options

Dig that.. Thank you gentlemen, for taking the time to answer my questions. Your time is appreciated .