Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens Emulator failed to start// one of the hyper-v components not running

JasonJason ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hi All,

Has anyone experienced this issue that knows a fix to the root-cause? It appears that the 'HoloLens Emulator failed to start... virtual machine management service failed to start... one of the hyper-v components not running".

I had initially assigned 8GB+ to this VM as I have 12GB of RAM on the machine.

I am running hyper-v on Windows 10 Pro (on my home computer).

Here are screenshots when I try to compile the Origami tutorial app:

Thanks for any assistance.

2.PNG 2.3K
1.PNG 36.7K
3.PNG 62.2K
4.PNG 162.5K

Comments

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

In this case I feel you may have to delete the HoloLens profile and the Virtual Network connections NAT and Phone from Hyper-V Manager.

When The HoloLens emulator first time initially starts there is a message asking to elevate priority which you click "Yes/OK".
    This makes the Hyper-V emulator and virtual network connections. In VS 2015 Update 2 you create a new VC# project template from the Universal Windows list and Debug build and Start Debug. using HoloLens Emulator as Target. This will test your setup and you should set spinning box in HoloLens Emulator after a few minutes

Related
    There was an answer to creating and running Hyper-V and HoloLens Emulator without Visual Studio answer here

• Options
    JasonJason ✭✭

Thank you very much for the quick response and help, I'll give that a shot. Cheers.

• Options
    JasonJason ✭✭
    edited May 2016

@Jimbohalo10 I uninstalled the HoloLens image and HoloLens emulator. Deleted the 'external network switch' I was using for my VM. I re-installed the HoloLens emulator and also created a new external network switch. I do not believe I am using any Phone services that I installed. After re-deploying I experienced the exact same error message.

You mentioned NAT but from what I read on NAT, does that only apply to Internal network switches in Hyper-V? If so, should I configure an internal network switch? Thanks.

• Options
    edited May 2016

If you used another emulator like Windows Phone it blocks creation or use of the Windows Service for HoloLens Emulator. In the end I just uninstalled emulator, then deleted EVERYTHING reinstalled emulator, ran VS 2015 VC# new Project template and ran this, request for using uplifted Admin privileged run of the setup code.
    The virtual NAT provides the link between the emulator and Windows 10 network card but I cannot re create this manually.

• Options
    JasonJason ✭✭

@Jimbohalo10 Hi, I have a clean machine dedicated specifically to HoloLens development and nothing else. Similar to you, I uninstalled the emulator and reinstalled the emulator. In fact, this is the 2nd virtual machine I configured.

I first thought it was due to the incorrect build of Windows 10 Pro (14316) that I was using and then I read a thread stating to use Windows 10 Pro (14295).

Which version of Unity HoloLens 5.4.0b16-HTP version are you using? 64bit or 34bit?

• Options
    edited May 2016

@Jason said:
    @Jimbohalo10 Hi, I have a clean machine dedicated specifically to HoloLens development and nothing else. Similar to you, I uninstalled the emulator and reinstalled the emulator. In fact, this is the 2nd virtual machine I configured.

I first thought it was due to the incorrect build of Windows 10 Pro (14316) that I was using and then I read a thread stating to use Windows 10 Pro (14295).

Which version of Unity HoloLens 5.4.0b16-HTP version are you using? 64bit or 34bit?

The important part could be Visual Studio Update 2 creating calling HoloLens Emulator

I use "Unity HoloLens 5.4.0b14-HTP (64-bit)".

Here is my setup from Hyper-V Manager
    I have removed HoloLens Emulator from Hyper-v and let VS2015 install Hyper-V on top of the already installed Windows Lumia Mobile Emulator, the Hyper-V configuration request came up, and it still works.

This is the running Hyper-V services from control panel

• Options
    JasonJason ✭✭

@Jimbohalo10 Thank you very much, I'll be able to have a look this evening and do a comparison.

• Options
    JasonJason ✭✭
    edited May 2016

@Jimbohalo10 Hi, thanks for providing those screenshots of your system setup.

One difference is that I am using an external network switch as opposed to your internal network switch setup however I do not think that is the cause. I also noticed that I have more Hyper-V services activated than what you have however I assume that is due to the differences in our development needs and setup.

After digging around on my system last night, I see I have corrupt system files and some of the fail as a result (on my localhost not vm) when checking through Windows Error Logging. SFC /scannow unfortunately did not fix the files therefore I have to use DISM and restore from a source.

I'm hoping that restoring the corrupt system files will fix the root cause however I have to find an appropriate Windows build source to restore from. Will post an update.

• Options
    JasonJason ✭✭
    edited May 2016

@Jimbohalo10 Hi Jimbo, I've fixed corrupt Windows system files (using DISM) on my localhost and vm install.

Here are screenshots to compare against yours:

#1 VM: Windows Services

#2 localhost network switch settings

#3 localhost windows services

I'm not sure what else could be causing the issue as I am still receiving the same error message when trying to run the emulator.

Does anyone know what would be possible cause(s) of the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service from failing to start when launching the Hololens Emulator?

How does the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service work in the first place and how does it interact with the Hololens Emulator?

Perhaps the pre-installed Antivirus software on the localhost (which is not activated) is causing a conflict. I'll try removing it tonight.

Cheers

• Options
    edited May 2016

Sorry don't know how this hyper-v manager works, it just set up via Hyper-V installation code so you could try uninstalling both parts of the emulator and re-install from HoloLens Emulator

• Options
    JasonJason ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Hi @Jimbohalo10 thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot again tonight and update with the results. It seems to be related to the Hyper V Management Service. I should mention that this past weekend I deleted the existing VM, created a new one, freshly installed all applications however still experiencing the same issue.

I do notice that I still have system errors being produced on my localhost (seem to be related to the network adapter) so need to troubleshoot as I am hypothesizing that there might be conflicts.

This discussion has been closed.