Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Positioning a 3D object

Hi Folks! I've had my Wave 2 device for a grand total of 3 hours now, but I have been playing with unity and the emulator for weeks. So this is the very first time I have been able to try one of my prototypes on the device itself. I think I'm missing something fundamental now that I'm in the actual 3D environment.

I'm building something almost exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqS5Dx9O66c

That is, I have a CAD model of a large physical object. I want to place it in the room so I can walk around it. In real life the object is a 20' by 2' cylinder with a number of components. I have fully rendered this with no problem in Unity and it will display in the emulator fine. I have removed the skybox, selected black as my background color, and enabled "virtual reality supported" in my build settings. I can deploy it to the device with no problems (Kudos MS for making the device pairing easy!).

Remember I've only had this for hours. But the first thing I did was place a tiger and earth hologram into mid air, resize, and walk around them. That was VERY cool. I thought I should be able to do this with my unity app too. It launches and runs but I don't really place in the room. and if I walk towards it, it just seems to recede from me. I can't get "behind" it.

This is so central to the HL experience. What is the obvious thing that I have missed?

(I'm still blown away by this whole experience btw!)

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

It sounds like you're placing it a fixed distance relative to the main camera.

Can we see what your unity project's hierarchy panel looks like? Maybe it'll give us a hint to how you set up the world.

And if you do want to place the item in the world, our github HoloToolkit has a basic "tap to place" script. There's also a test scene in there to show how to get it to run. It's a starting point and you can add more functionality to get it how you'd like.

• Options

Hey Simus,

Did you go through Holograms 100? This should let you know all of the switches and knobs you need to tweak in Unity to make the app Holographic.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

My scene in Unity

I created an empty game object and added the three required managers. I attached the tap to place script to my "CLS" object (the parent of my hierarchy)

Patrick I did go through 100 but I guess I should do it again to see what I missed. I have not tried the tap to place sample scene, I will do that right now.

• Options

Does the wire frame mesh for spatial mapping appear in the correct place?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

No mesh is displayed when the app launches. I must not have one of the managers configured properly

• Options
    Hello! I am a mechanical engineer thinking about starting a similar project. I dont have any programm experience but I am super excited about the hololens possibilities.
    Is it hard to build such an app or is it really as easy as converting your cad model into .obj ander import it in unity? How did it work out for you and are you happy with the result?