Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

trying to build the GalaxyExplorer for emulator and it fails loading audiopluginMsHRTF.dll

I grabbed the latest GalaxyExplorer project and it fails when deploying to the emulator while loading this DLL:
Loading AudioPluginMsHRTF.dll

Exception thrown: 'System.TypeLoadException' in Unknown Module.
The thread 0x9c4 exited with code 0 (0x0).
Activation of Windows Store app 'GalaxyExplorer_ph1m9x8skttmg!App' failed with error 'Could not find or load a type'.

I modified the .csproj file to reference ".\" for the path as someone else suggested but still no luck :-(

Anyone else know how to get this to run on the hololens emulator?

I installed everything from scratch today...

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

@kenyee there is a good chance your path has spaces or is too long.
    One of the steps in the Unity build process does not handle spaces or long path names very well.

However, there are a number of things that can cause these kinds of build errors. I posted a partial list in another thread here.

Check against that list and let us know if any of those steps help.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

My work directory is always no spaces. I put my work files in a separate partition so my holo stuff is in D:\Work\HoloLens and the Galaxy explorer is D:\Work\HoloLens\GalaxyExplorer w/ the UWP directory under that
    So no spaces, short names as much as possible :-)

• Options

@kenyee,
    A TypeLoadException sounds like you may have a mismatched executable and dll architecture. Please check that you are building Galaxy Explorer for x86 (to match the architecture of the HoloLens and AudioPluginMsHRTF.dll).

Thanks!
    David

• Options

Yep...Also tried Master as the docs on the GalaxyExplorer web site suggested.
    Current settings at the top of Visual Studio are:
    Release, x86, Hololens Emulator 10.0.14342.1018

• Options

forgot to mention...rest of machine is Windows 10 w/ latest updates...Hyper-V is installed properly...also had to uncompress the Hololens VHD drive which should probably be mentioned somewhere in the installer docs.
    Machine is a core i7 w/ 32GB of memory (a thinkpad W530).

• Options

@kenyee are you able to build other projects without this issue?
    Is it only the Galaxy Explorer project you are having problems with?

One of the other things you might want to check is if you "unblocked" the zip file after you downloaded it.

I would also recommend that you delete the Unity Build process generated files and folders and regenerate them.

The following is an example from a different project but you can delete the same ones for your project and then rebuild from Unity.

• Options

I don't have the App or Planetarium directories/files...deleted the UWP directory...also tried a Build/CleanSolution in Visual Studio...same error.

Downloaded the 240 SharedHologram sample, went through the first lesson...tested it in Unity, built a Visual Studio solution, then set Release, x86, HologramEmulator...tried running and get the exact same error....didn't think this lesson used audio?

• Options

Turned off audio under Edit/ProjectSettingsAudio and then it says it can't load "SharingClient.dll"...same error as above.
    It's almost like Unity is building invalid DLLs....I verified the settings in the setup docs...Windows 10, D3D, build on local machine and windows phone (tried doing just local machine as well...also tried Unity C# project debugging)

• Options

@kenyee what capabilities do you have set in the project settings?

The Academy 240 does use audio and keyword detection.

One thing to double check is your Player Setting | Publishing Settings | Capabilites have the required capabilities checked.

Also, if you don't have an "App" folder but do have a UWP folder, did you create a different folder instead of "App" when prompted after selecting Build from the Build Settings window in Unity? Whatever you called that folder (instead of App) that is the folder you should delete and regenerate along with all the other files (including the project and solution files at that level). Also, be sure that you are creating that "App" folder (or whatever you are calling it) in that specific location inside the main project folder at the same level as the Assets folder. I mistakenly created my App folder inside my Assets folder once and that messed things up and caused errors.

• Options

For 240, the capabilities are: InternetClientServer, PrivateNetworkClientServer, Microphone, and SpatialPerception.
    When I do BuildSettings/Build, it opens the root of the project, then I create a folder named "UWP", then select that so the Visual Studio stuff ends up in there. The DLLs it can't load are in there...it's just that Visual Studio throws off that error when it tries to deploy the DLLs to the emulator...

• Options

It's especially odd that I turned off audio and then the next DLL it hit has an error loading...

• Options

@kenyee said:
    It's especially odd that I turned off audio and then the next DLL it hit has an error loading...

That really sounds like the same issue where the path name is too long or has spaces in it.
    You mentioned something about a separate partition... maybe you could try the project from a short simple folder on C:\ somewhere just in case the same tool that doesn't like spaces and long path names doesn't like things being on a different partition. Just a thought.

• Options
    kenyeekenyee
    edited June 2016

Same error on the same drive as HoloLens unfortunately :-(
    Loading SharingClient.dll

The thread 0xfec has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    Activation of the Windows Store app 'SharedHolograms_s9y1p3hwd5qda!App' failed with error 'Could not find or load a type'.
    The program '[3656] SharedHolograms.exe' has exited with code 1 (0x1).

• Options

Turned on the TypeLoadException breakpoint and found out this weird additional info:

Additional information: Could not find Windows Runtime type 'Windows.UI.ViewManagement.StatusBar'.

• Options

Sometimes get this too: Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error DEP6957 : Failed to connect to device '169.254.17.208' using Universal Authentication. Please verify the correct remote authentication mode is specified in the project debug settings. 0x8007274C: The network event being waited on triggered an error. Origami

• Options

Nope...apparently a bogus error from not flipping the "uninstall old project before deploy" setting:
    http://forums.hololens.com/discussion/548/deploy-to-emulator-fails-with-dep6957-erorr-first-time

Gave me false hope...lol...so sad this is :-P

• Options

@kenyee at this point I would double check that you have the correct versions of the tools installed.

Make sure you have the HoloLens version of unity installed that is linked to from the checklist here and that you didn't accidently install the latest regular beta of Unity.
    And that you have the UWP Runtime for unity.

Also check that you have Visual Studio update 2.
    And that you haw the correct version of the UWA tools for Visual Studio (see this thread) and make sure you have the 10586 of both the tools and the OS installed.

Something is wonky in your environment, when trouble shooting at the Holographic Hackathon we saw quite a few setup errors, but eventually they were pretty much all resolved with one of the techniques that either you have tried or that I just mentioned.

We must be getting close :-)

Also it might be helpful for you to share a screen shot of the error messages you are getting incase there is something that catches our attention that you may not be typing out.