Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Kiosk Mode

In the new build for the Hololens I don't see Kiosk Mode. Has this been moved or dropped?

Before I would see it in Webby... but now it's gone???

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭

@DavidKlineMS said:
    @Dell_Studio216 ,
    Per the release notes, Kiosk mode has been removed.

Thanks!
    David

While that is all well and good, are there any alternatives to locking the device out of specific applications (blacklisting) or only allowing certain applications (whitelisting). Our application internally is a warehouse order fulfillment system, and it would be quite preferable to limit their use of the device.

• Options

I have to agree with what @Jarrod1937 said. There are use cases where you don't want the user to bloom in the middle of your app. In our use case we have 10 to 40 people a day who are given the Hololens with the app running. We have 4 networked Lens running the app concurrently.

The main presenter is controlling the app with the Surface driving the app forward. If one of the user blooms by mistake it would create a problem.

If Kiosk mode is gone forever (crying into my keyboard), then is there a way to block the user from exiting the app by mistake.?

Dell

• Options

I should add the users have never seen Hololens before when they step up to use it. Also they don't have time for a training session on how to use the lens. That is why we are using a docent to guide them through the Lens experience.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Most of our client work is building experiences are for trade shows, where we configure it at the beginning and then run as many people as we can through. Def wish you could override the default behaviors easily or have a kiosk mode.....for the majority of our use cases.

A lot of our users don't speak english to top it off lol, a year ago we did an htc vive experience in Asia, and I was the one trying to explain the controls.

• Options

I'm developing for a classroom environment. The kiosk mode is essential for this application since as an instructor, we certainly don't want students changing and modifying the app or lesson as they deem fit. This is a huge disappointment that I can't apply kiosk mode to the student version of the lessons. Given that I already have 2 pairs and was counting on the kiosk mode as part of the development and now it's taken away feels like I've been duped. The cost of a commercial suite is $5000 per pair with a minimum of 10 pairs... WOW! Will Microsoft allow us to upgrade our development version to the commercial software? It is absolutely essential for classroom lesson development.
    This is upsetting.